Seeds for a Europe-wide schools experiment

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Tom Simpson, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Tom Simpson

Tom Simpson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently developing a schools resource on Mendelian Genetics where school pupils grow some seeds to a point where they can observe a Mendelian trait. The pupils can then enter their results into a Europe-wide database and hopefully watch as these results tend to the appropriate ratios. To that end, does anyone know of an easy-to-see trait in a plant that could be grown quickly and easily from seed?

Many Thanks

Tom Simpson

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,649
    Mendel studied pea plants in his classic experiments, why not use those?

3. Tom Simpson

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response.

Mendel used the peas themselves in his initial experiments. Whether they were round or wrinkled, their colour etc... This would be great for the experiments but would mean plants would have to be grown until they produced peas themselves and I imagine this would be too long for many schools. We are writing an extension pack using peas, as there are lots of other Mendelian traits to explore as well but for the majority of schools we need a trait that exhibits really quickly, within a couple of weeks. Something like the colour of the cotyledon(s)?

Many thanks for the response!

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Would radish or cress be any good?

5. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,559
    Hi, your experiment sounds really fascinating!
    Unfortunately, there are few plants that will bloom in different colours and produce seeds that will be soweable quickly within a short period of time. Peas weren't chosen by Mendel just because he liked them, but also, I think, because the colours are easily separated and the plants blossom quickly. (A dandelion might go through the full cycle in 2 weeks but the variation in colours is so slight that no big discoveries would be made, the same applies to several fastcycleres. )
    Sorry, this wasn't helpful but anyway, good luck!

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,649
    I can't think of any plants that fit the bill.

For fast turn-around genetics experiments we used fruit fly (Drosophila) in my school years ago, comparing eye colours IIRC, it was quick easy and fun.

7. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,559
    Hi again, Nasturtium of course! Big, easily hand- pollinated, flowers quickly, distinct colours, big, easily sown seeds. Tropaeolum majus

8. Tom Simpson

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both Selleri and JWK. Fruit flies are perfect but it has to be a plant, unfortunately! Nasturtium could be great especially because if any unruly kids eat them they a) won't be poisoned and b) might quite like the peppery taste!

Tom