1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeds in loo roll insides

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Ruth82, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Ruth82

Ruth82 Gardener

Ratings:
    +122
    Evening I've gone for putting some seed in loo roll insides seems a good idea as roots have more depth but, there going mouldy white fur on the outside should I pot them on or just chuck? Stop this mold spreading

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Hi Ruth. Many folk resort to using loo roll tubes for sowing seed, especially sweet peas, as the extra depth caters for the extended leader root of the latter.

I suggest not to worry about the type of mould that has appeared. This is probably a result of some chemical used in the manufacture of the cardboard tube. Once planted the tube will hopefully rot away, especially as most modern things of this nature are now recycleable and or biodegradable.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,325
        @Ruth82
        I've used them in the past only problem I had was them getting dry and the roots not penetrating the cardboard very well.

• Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Its usually from the glue that holds the tubes together. Nothing to worry about.

When I plant loo-roll or newspaper pots I tear off all paper/cardboard above the surface otherwise I think it acts as a wick and dries out the paper underground. No idea if it actually made any difference though, and I used newspaper pots much more than I ever did loo-rolls.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,933
            Similar to those peat pots you used to be able to buy, they go mouldy on the outside.
            Atleast it means you are keeping them wet enough.

Once planted they need to be kept wet until the cardboard breaks down, and as Kristen says, remove any part above the ground.

• Like Like x 2