1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeds left exposed to heater - what temperature would damage them?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Aldo, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,318
    I have done a silly mistake.
    Recently our landlady had the thermostat for the heating fixed, it had been broken for quite a while. I set it to 18c and forgot about it.
    This afternoon it fired up, no more than 2 hours I think, we only realized when we noticed the typical smell of long unused heaters warming up, so it cannot have been too long.

Unfortunately, I only then realized that my seed box, a cardboard thing, was in a corner in contact with the heater. I removed and opened it, and it was warm inside, but I was not fast enough to measure how much.

I checked the temperature of the heater with a meat thermometer. It clocked at 39C on the outside, 45C If I stick the thermometer in the inside and leave it there a while.

I know it is a bit of random question, but, do you think this might have damaged the seeds and prevent germination?

They are all in their opened packets. Tomatoes, beans, squashes, basil and numerous other varieties.. I really feel like a fool but anyway..

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    Ahhhh.don't fret! Some will resist a nuclear explosion....toms, brassicas and beans spring to mind. If the packets are open anyway, the seeds will already have started to age, so germination will be reduced. The only ones I know for sure need to be totally fresh are parsnips. Time will tell, next spring.:)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,318
      @noisette47 Thanks :) That reassures me. After all, I will probably start germinating most plant early, so in case of problems I can always buy fresh seeds I guess.
      The only thing is, I was planning on sowing for the first time broadbeans and spinach now, in the hope to get productive plants by early spring and put my beds to some use off season.
      So if the seeds are not going to germinate I will only find out when it is too late.
      Perhaps I will just buy fresh seeds for that two things..

• noisette47

Ratings:
      +14,311
      :) I reckon the broad beans will be OK, perhaps the spinach less so.....Good luck with the overwintering! No mention of where you are in the UK, but certainly down here broad beans, peas, onions, shallots, garlic and, bizarrely, coriander all do much better from autumn sowing/planting :)

• Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,318
        @noisette47 I am in London, not sure how that compares with southern France, in terms of climate.
        It is interesting you can plant so many things in Autumn. Probably that would work here too. This would be my first year planting anything earlier than March, so I have no clue what could work and what not.
        However, MisterQ here on the forum is in London as well and manages some very healthy broadbeans early in the Spring. He is very good at all varieties though, I cannot quite say the same about myself :)

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,270
        @Aldo
        I've sown my broad beans in the autumn for years, both in Essex and here in Devon. I use Aquadulce Claudia, although I did try Del Monica for a few years a while ago overall it was less consistent.
        In Essex I sowed in the ground here in Devon I sow in root trainers, harden off when they reach about 6 inches and plant out. I find this works better than direct sowing as slugs and pigeons don't get the shoots when they first emerge.

• noisette47

Ratings:
          +14,311
          Getaway! Bet you're an excellent gardener!
          Well it's probably warmer there than here through the winter :biggrin: You never know until you try!
          The main reason autumn-sown stuff does better here is because the sun becomes pretty strong even early in the year, and there's more chance of either drought or flooding (take your pick) from February onwards. Summer's a furnace....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,318
            @NigelJ Thanks!
            Slugs are a problem here too, and they have decimated some of my beans this summer, so probably I should follow your advice.
            Just, when do you suggest planting them out once hardened off?
            Also, do you normally fertilize before planting them and/or after removing them?
            I read that spinach do not need fertilizer, but I guess beans must be more hungry and perhaps they will deplete the soil?

• Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,318
            I wish :biggrin:
            But I have learned quite a lot over the last years, especially here on the forum, and I am managing at least not to repeat too many of my past mistakes. Like cooking my seeds :)

• Funny Funny x 2
            • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +21,270
              @Aldo
              Mine are in pots in the greenhouse hopefully germinating at the moment. Depending on weather I'll harden them off mid to end of November and then plant the next frost free, dryish weekend nb dryish is more the limitng factor here in Paignton. I plant into a well prepared and mulched bed, but I don't feed them. If we have mild weather they may need tying up to prevent wind damage.
              When they start to grow well in early spring I might give a feed of chicken pellets or similar; being nitrogen fixers they don't need much nitrogen, but other nutrients can be in short supply especially after a wet winter.

• Aldo

Aldo Super Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,318
                @NigelJ Thanks so much!
                All clear, I will sow mine in pots this weekend I think, and bide my time for a dryish and frost free few days once they are ready and hardened off.
                I really hope they grow, I love broad beans but did not get much at all from my first attempts this Summer.