1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeds sown for 2013

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Val.., May 9, 2013.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Have you guys been pleased with how your seeds have germinated/grown on this year? I stuck with really easy seeds, thunbergia & nasturtiums mostly & a few pansies. Germination very slow even using a propagator, think the lack of light is somewhat to blame, over half of nasturtiums still haven't germinated and the ones that did are very spindly same story with the thunbergia. I did manage to germinate some double impatiens and they are about my only success story. I saw some nasturtium/thunbergia plants about 4 times the size of mine selling at just £2.99 in our small local garden centre. I think in future I shall be very happy to leave it to the ones who have the growing equipment, I feel my seed sowing days are coming to an end too much effort for such little rewards!!

Val

2. Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
    +400
    I've mostly grown vegetables from seed this year, and they seem pretty successful using my little blow away green house. I have also grown some oriental poppies, they've come on a treat - up to now, but the sunny days recently definitely helped!

• Like Like x 1
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      It's been a bit hit and miss to be honest and I understand exactly what you mean when you say there's too much effort for little reward. In saying that though I haven't got a greenhouse or much experience so maybe I have to factor that in.

I had an initial disaster with my marigolds and one whole packet of nasturtium seeds have either germinated and grown about 2 inches tall then died or not germinated at all - I've pretty much written them off. I have more nasturtiums of a different variety and they are doing much better.

My snapdragons have germinated but they are still very small but the borage seedlings are doing nicely. Hopefully the bees will like them.

I have a few different types of wildflower seeds which haven't done anything. I'm not sure if I was meant to go about germinating them in a different way and not put them in a heated propagator. Perhaps I should have chucked them onto the soil in a likely spot in the garden and hoped for the best! :dunno: :snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,626
        Bit of a mixed bag this year. French Marigolds, dahlia red skin and figaro, salvia blaze of fire all doing ok. 2 kinds of Coleus still really smalland not many.
        My first batch of cannas (40) none starter bar 1. Second lot nearly 100% (different seed though). Toms not doing to bad either considering!
        Oh the little un sunflowers are about a foot tall already!
        So next year he doing all the sowing and looking after lol :snork:
        I know that you can buy plants but to me it's the enjoyment of trying to grow your own.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,951
          I have always agreed with this, but now I am having to try too damn hard, :snork:

Val

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Been a lot more hassle this spring, temperatures & light being so up and down. Resorted to germinating some seeds next to the computer cooling fan, at least that's a constant temperature.

• Funny Funny x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,561
              All my seeds have been slow to germinate this year with a number of failures, they've also been slow to put on growth but have now got under way with the sun and warmth of last week.

Fern,
              Antirrhinums (Snapdragons) are slow to germinate and put on growth so I usually start them off earlier than most other seeds. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +3,089
                My early efforts this year were a disaster, I couldn't even get broad beans and sweet peas to germinate, they are usually easy.

Over the past month I've sown millions of stuff including
                basil x 6 types
                parsley
                dill
                salvia x 4
                ratibida
                cosmos x 2
                nicotiana
                echium x 2
                setaria
                millet
                kailaan
                celery
                spinach
                chard
                didiscus
                seseli gummifera
                ornamental clover
                mirabilis jalapa
                ricinus
                marigolds x 3
                consolida
                spring onion
                sweet peas x 4

And they have mainly germinated just fine. Oh dear.
                Now I have so many children I don't know what to do.

• Like Like x 2
                • rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,946
                  Lupins and Shansta Daisey have done well. Virtually 100% germination. They were started in the conservatory, but I am limited for space in there this year as we turned it into a play room. I have sown some Echinacea, Gardillia and Achillea and put them in the cold frame and they are just showing signs of germination. I have sown 4 types of Sweetpea and all doing well. I have sown some Calendula and Cosmos yesterday ( may be a little late). Tonight I have sown Corgettes and Cucumber. I bought tomato plants as I only need 4 and I am going to swop some Lupins for Chilli and Pepper plants with one of the lads at work. All the rest of the Veg will be direct sown this year.

Rusty

• Like Like x 1
                  • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +16,246
                    Not really had a problem with germination this year. Even my Dahlias are showing today after moaning about them on another thread . My Wave petunia seeds were pathetic as usual ( why do I bother !) But all other seeds have done well , the old green-shed is now stuffed to bursting with plants and my Chillies are fruiting on the windowsills :dbgrtmb: . Waiting for the weather to improve a bit to start hardening the plants off.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    I've been lucky really...no real problems with germination but being over enthusiastic and sowing early it's been the 'keeping them all happy' that's been the difficult bit.....i'm sure it's put years on me:rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
                      Ratings:
                      +7,491
                      Thanks Sheal....I'll remember that in future. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                        +12,667
                        I have a number of philosophies on that point:

1. Unusual varieties won't be found in the local garden centre, so worth trying to grow those

2. For humdrum things I can either buy at garden centre, or attempt seeds and use fallback of garden centre.

I stopped growing Cucumbers last year as the seed is more than £1 each, I usually lose half of them to rot, and the plants in the garden centre were cheap and huge, by comparison. This year they have some fancy mini-fruit variety (which will do, but isn't what I want) and Cucumber seedlings that are half dead already ... clearly they have had same problem we have had. So I am stuffed - no decent plants, and I didn't sow any seeds myself.

Might it be your seed sowing compost?

Lots of people on here talk about / complain about how "fit", or not!, their Multi Purpose Compost is for seed sowing. I only use Seed Sowing Compost which is a nice sandy soil-based John Innes recipe. I microwave and reuse it (well, not if anything was diseased), as the seeds don't need fertiliser, so I only have to use one small bag a year (to top up etc.)

I have a significant number of seeds that have failed this year. They are poncy, or unusual, things and maybe that is par for the course. But some, such as Delphiniums, are in a seed tray marked off in sections with other varieties of Delphiniums (from other suppliers) which all germinated, so clearly the seed was not viable - rather than it being my failure. I've been meaning to start a new thread on that to get opinions on how common it is for seed suppliers to ship unviable seed.

• Like Like x 1
                        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +46,062
                          Most of my seeds have germinated well this year and are mostly doing OK, I haven't over-stretched myself this year for a change so with a bit more attention to the few I've only had a handful of failures out of 50 or 60 different flower/veg varieties I started. I do have a couple of sets of growlights, one indoors and one in the g.house plus a tiny bit of heat (soil warming cable) in the g.house so that has helped.

It's quite time consuming at this time of year, moving less hardy plants into the g.house overnight and re-arranging/packing them. I've lost a couple of plants to clumsiness and this morning I noticed the slugs out in force on my runner beans.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                            +12,667
                            My Next-Year's-Resolutions include:

Pot-up things that I normally do in the Spring in the Autumn instead, to save Spring-time. Cannas, Dahlias and the like - rather than "storing" them in latticve-trays or loose. Also pot-on anything that is needing a larger pot - I typically have loads of cuttings etc. in 9cm, or maybe even 1L, pots in the Autumn that are crying out for potting on in the Spring - but time never allows, and they are abandoned until June-ish when time then allows - and I waste growing time as a result.

The rationale for not potting on in the Autumn has been so that they don't sit with, potentially, too much water at their roots due to have large compost volume and not enough heat & light to grow. But as they are under cover I think I just need to be careful not to water much / at all over winter. I rarely water over winter anyway ...

(I plan to use the "soil" out of my greenhouse for the Autumn potting-up Dahlias etc [and conventional MPC for potting-on]. This is replaced annually anyway, and what goes into the greenhouse is 50:50 rotted manure / compost-heap. Its reasonably dry at the end of the season when it is removed. I'm keeping empty MPC bags this year to "bag" the "soil" that comes out of the greenhouse to make it easy to re-use as "potting-up compost")

I do that every year :( and it annoys me a lot!

I really ought to build some large cold-frames to avoid the lugging about.

There are Blue Slug Pellets all over my seedlings and small potted-on plants ...

• Informative Informative x 1