1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking alternative to Crocosmia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cucumber, Feb 7, 2014.

1. cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi

I was very disappointed when my clumps of Crocosmia barely flowered last year, despite the clumps being less than three years old.

I would be very grateful if members could suggest alternative perennials which would be more reliable. I was thinking of Astrantia?

Thank you.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,321

Hi
    Are you growing in full sun , well drained soil ? in the border or in pots .

Did you feed them last year and if yes with what

3. cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry for the lack of detail!

Full sun, clay soil that gets very wet in winter but dry in summer. I fed them with a granular feed.

4. Spruce

Ratings:
    +12,321
    I think its the clay soil , just to wet over the winter and its rotting the bulbs, does it puddle with water ? after it has rained ?, you could dig up the plants in a couple of weeks time and add a good sized bad of pea shingle to help improve the drainage (dig it in) , plus with feeding if its too high in nitrogen you end up getting all leaves and no flowers , you need something high in phosphates so tomato food is ideal , I grow daylily so I would recommend those but still needs better drainage , we will see what the others have to say on here

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
    • cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      Thank you for your swift reply!

They flowered very well for the first couple of years. I read that the bulbs cease flowering when they get too congested, so I was thinking of digging them up and thinning them out.

The lawn puddles but I've not noticed it with the beds. BTW, no sign of rotting.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,336
      Sounds as though they do need dividing, cucumber. They do the same as crocuses, and form new corms on top of the old ones. After a few years, you get a long chain of corms with the youngest barely beneath the surface of the soil. If re-planting doesn't work, one alternative might be species gladioli? They're much more graceful than florist's gladioli, and easier to grow mixed into a border.

• Like Like x 2
      • Spruce

Ratings:
        +12,321
        Agree

• cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        I think I may have gone wrong in discarding the innermost bulbs rather than the newer ones nearest the soil surface.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        Don't discard any that are still attached - they store food for the younger corms.

I agree about sorting the drainage out, although Crocosmia tend to grow just about anywhere. Being too dry holds them back, which is also another problem of clay soil as it holds water back but doesn't absorb water,

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          That doesn't read right to me, but I may just be misreading what you wrote.

Just to clarify, and apologies if that is what you are doing, you need to keep the corm nearest the soil surface / leaves, and discard the ones deepest in the ground / furthest from the leaves (although as LongK says its best to leave them on as extra energy storage)

Crocosmia should put on a magnificent display for you, so if not then I think it worth helping their growing conditions before giving up on them.

• Like Like x 1
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Not only should they bloom well, but in my experience they should be downright invasive!!!

• cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
            +11
            Thank you very much indeed for all your replies.

Should I start digging the corms up now (the new leaves are poking through the soil), or should I wait awhile?

• Spruce

Ratings:
            +12,321
            Where roughly do you live, personally I would leave till early March once they get going a bit more , as they will get off to a better start once you thin out, plus you will see what bits are growing more easily .
            I move most of my perennials in March if needed , gives me a chance to see what has survived, or needs splitting. And hopefully the soil is more dry to work and replant.

Spruce

• cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
            +11
            London, UK. Good advice...thanks.

• Like Like x 1
            • cucumber

cucumber Gardener

Ratings:
              +11
              I've re-read Kristen's reply and am still unsure (sorry).
              Should I discard the lowest corms or leave them all on as energy storage, and then just plant out thinly?