1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Selecting this year's tomatoes - which varieties?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nikirushka, Feb 18, 2015.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    This will be my third year of tomatoes so I now have a fair idea of what I'm after. But still next to no knowledge of varieties so I am appealing to the GC brain!

I do not get on with cordon types at all, I am not speedy enough with my pruning and they always overtake me in the end. Also the best spot in my garden (sunny but sheltered, I don't have a greenhouse) is not big enough!

So, I need bush types and hanging basket types (I have two 15" baskets ready and waiting). I'm reading that 'hundreds and thousands' is an excellent choice for the baskets, so I'm happy to go for that; but can anyone suggest a bush type?

With the h&t type being teensy toms I would like my bush types to give me decent sized toms for sarnie-making, which I can find easy enough but I was hoping someone could recommend me a type or two that are strong tasting and quite sweet :) Yield isn't massively important - small ones I eat as they are but ones destined for sandwiches take me longer so I don't want to be overrun!

2. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    Are you in the UK? If so, roughly which part? You may get better answers if we know where you are? :)

3. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    UK yes, in Scunthorpe, North Lincs :)

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,129
    I've grown Tumbling Red Tom in the past, it's very good for containers so I'd recommend that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      I grew Maskota which was the first to ripen here and I got plenty of tomatoes from it. I also grew Big League which ripened later and had bigger sized tomatoes. Both grew outside in the sunniest part of my garden in containers and the tomatoes were delicious. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        If I was to grow only one bush tomato it would be Red Alert, a reliable, early cropping tomato that I grow every year, the plants don't grow excesively large (even if manure levels are a bit high) approx 18"/450mm spread, has a very good tomatoes to leaf growth ratio and a very good chance of getting every single tomato (approx 25 - 30mm, I find large tomatoes take too long to mature outdoors) on the plants to ripen.

I normaly sow a very early small batch of seeds to plant in large pots and keep in a polytunnel before bringing outside in June (when space requied for other stuff) for very early toms, but my main, later sowing will be planted outdoors in open ground 1st week in June.

Although Red Alert seeds sold are F1, plenty of people (including myself) save the seeds and find the resulting plants are virtually the same. Google Red Alert open pollinated.

• Informative Informative x 2
          Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
        • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
          Ratings:
          +7,293
          Another vote for Maskota here

Jack McH

• nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
          Ratings:
          +2,908
          Agreed, done them two years now (started off by Loli) and they grow well in a basket. You can't go wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            This year, I will be mostly growing the Manx Marvel :)

• Like Like x 2