1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

semi permeable membrane

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silver1, Sep 8, 2008.

1. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted a number of large trees last spring - conifers - birch and some large shrubs. I covered the ground with a semi-permeable membrane and then bark chippings. Some of the trees just haven't done too well - one thuja plicata dying off at the top. I lifted the membrane and found the surface of the soil covered with roots. Is this normal? If I were to lift the membrane completely all the tree roots would be exposed. Also how on earth do I now feed the trees as I can't rake in any fertilizer without disturbing the root systems?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks
    Ann

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I hate membrane with a passion, totally needless in most aplications and actualy causes weed problems.

Lift it, dont woory about the roots, these will only be small surface ones, the main root systme will be below ground.

im asuming that everything was planted properly, to be on the safe side a picture would clarify the root situation.

3. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Will take a photo tomorrow. I was told that membrane would help retain moisture in the soil - I have quite light sandy soil and the area I planted is at the top of a slope. I had hoped that the membrane would cut the need the water quite so much. All the trees I planted were large 4-5 meters and they did have a bit of a set back which I expected until they put down roots but the thuja is my main concern - the top third has had quite a bit of die back.

While on here it would be good to know what fertilizer would be best for promoting good root growth. I was told by the tree supplier not to add fertilizer until next spring. I had always thought that a light dressing of blood fish and bone helps at planting but didn't add any as told. I think the soil is possibly lacking in nuitrients.

Thanks again

Ann

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    i would have said a general fertiliser eg bonemeal, perhaps osmocote granuales.

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Take the membrane up and use 3 to 4 inches of bark, this will act as a mulch (retaining moisture ) and a weed suppressant. The fertilizer you want for encouraging rootgrowth is Bonemeal. Lets have a pic of the Thuja, I`m surprised it`s dieing.

6. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi silver1,

Can I first ask whether your trees were in containers, root-balled or bare root stock when you bought them?

Secondly; surface roots are a sign of two things:
    1. The tree wasn't planted deep enough.
    2. The tree is searching for water.

As Pro Gard said, artificial membranes are a big load of pants. A natural woodchip/bark mulch, as Dai suggested, will do the job much better, is more environmentally friendly, cheaper and aesthetic.

Now, I must unfortunately and with the greatest respect, disagree with Pro Gard's advice about ignoring surface roots. These roots are HIGHLY important as they are the ones that absorb the first rainfall and soil water. With mature trees, the majority of water absorbing roots are within the first three feet of the soil horizon, and with your newly installed trees, the water absorbing roots will be within the first few inches of the surface. Take care not to damage these, especially if working around the tree.

Normally, if your soil is nutrient balanced there is no need to add any feed to the tree - in this the tree supplier was right. The only was you'll know your soil's fertility potential is to carry out some soil analysis. Adding organic matter to the ground around the tree certainly shouldn't do it any harm, but you might want to delay feeding it until the start of the growing season when the trees are actively absorbing nutrients from the ground.

Lastly, onto watering. Well this current weather really means you needn't worry about watering your trees too much. With free draining soil such as yours your trees will really benefit from adding some organic matter and a layer of mulch - both of which retain moisture as well as provide other benefits. Don't water your trees too much as this can be just as bad as underwatering.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

7. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone :D All but the birches were container grown - the birches were rootballed. I had someone plant the trees for me as they were a little too large for me to handle. It sounds as if I should take up the membrane and investigate further. How should I deal with the roots that will now be exposed on the surface of the soil. Will they be ok just covered with bark? Will post photos tomorrow if I can find out how to.

Thanks

Ann

8. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have taken photos of tree and roots but don't know how to upload them - can anyone give some advice about this.

Thanks

Ann

9. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,130
  10. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  11. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,130
    Ann

If you click on the 'image' icon you can paste the photobucket direct link into the window that pops up. Then your pictures are embedded in your post like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Having seen the photos, I would lift and plant deeper.

13. silver1

silver1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pro Guard - I am loath to dig the trees up as they have been in the ground since March and will have put down roots by now. Do you think an alternative would be to put top soil over the roots that are exposed or do you think I can get away with just putting a good layer of bark chips over them.

Thanks

Ann

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Soil and bark ought to be ok.