1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sempervivums

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by DAG, Jun 10, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bought just one last year, and about this time it grew 16 rosettes and I potted these up. 15 of these took and now every one is growing rosettes on it so should have over 200 soon. ;) Not bad all from one little plant? Will keep some, given some away, not sure what I am going to do with the rest? :D

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Always had that problem and more, 'cos I grow over 200 varieties as well!

3. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ah Palustris! Then your just the person to ask where you get them in colours other than green or red/brown as I know some park displays have used them to paint pictures with....I think? ;)

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
  5. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks Palustris, interesting websites! ;)

6. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What do you Sempervivum experts use in the way of compost..I used a compost with grit and a pot with drainage holes but some still rotted in the winter :( Any tips please

7. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I wish I was an expert in something Poppy33 ;) , had never grown them before, just used a grit and compost mix same as you.

I tried some on a shelf, some sunk in a sand bed, and some outside but under cover, and they all looked the same.

I think plenty of ventilation if pos. although I had a heated g/h, oh and I try not to water over them in the winter especially. I use one of those bottle top waterers and squirt in round the edges, or bottom water. Also much less water in the winter of course! Did you have them in the shade?

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    I grow them on the roof of my shed, they've been there for years, sometimes flower, sometimes shrivel so badly it seems imposible for them to survive, but they do.

9. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete,
    Are they in pots on your shed or just growing on the roof? One of my sheds has a horrible corrugated roof and you could well have provided me with the answer! [​IMG]

10. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,948
    New to Semperviviums...

Last year we were given an unusual pot by a friend and were stumped as what to put in it ,as it wasnt very deep.
    Ah..semps.They dont need much watering...Good idea..
    Quite an interesting plant,lots of character and different this year to last year, and plenty of off shoots to transplant. [​IMG]
    Recomended for some fun......... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Corrugated asbestos, its slightly pourus, and along with the natural collection of mosses and lichen, they grow well enough.
    Getting them established can be difficult though, its best done, I find in autumn or very early spring.
    [​IMG]

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Took this pic at Wisley last year, I was quite impressed with this one, bet Palustris has got it.
    [​IMG]

13. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    We lost some semps this winter, mainly due to very heavy frosts after a very warm wet day. It dropped from 8c plus rain to -8c. in a very few hours. Having said that, even those hit really badly have at least one rosette left and that is all you need for a new beginning.
    I grow mine in 2/3 grit and 1/3 compost, except for some in the front garden which are in pure grit.
    I did have S. calcareum, but it comes in a fair number of different forms so maybe not that exact one.
    The old fashioned method of getting them established on a roof was to slap a lump of wet manure on the roof and plant into it!

14. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    I know what you mean about those types of weather conditions Palustris, it plays havoc with my few cacti inside and out, I dont think many parts of the world have to put up with so much wet immediatly followed by hard frost.
    I think the manure would have fried today, infact most of this week. :rolleyes:
    I think they are supposed to keep the house safe from lightning or something, and its traditional to plant them on the roof. :confused:

15. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Along the road, there is a little cottage where an old lady we know has planted them on her roof..apparently this is good luck and protects the occupants from lightening strikes [​IMG] Sage cat would probably know the origin of this tradition [​IMG]