1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

September Garden Colour

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by frogesque, Sep 23, 2005.

1. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    A lot of plants are past their best at this time of year but the dahlias will keep going until the first frost when tubers should be lifted and stored over winter in a cool dry frost free place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry I don't know the varieties other than the top one which is Edinburgh

2. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Something else I tried this year and I did wonder if it would ever bloom but late September and it's coming into its own They were all supposed to be white though :lol:

Liatris, fits in well with a cottage border

[​IMG]

I've also a Nerine about to flower so watch this space!

3. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    lovely pictures i love liatris very useful plant have got a semi double Rudbeckia sorry do not know name but in full flower now it is about 7ft tall and makes a good cut flower :D :D

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Lovely plants the dahlia, and such a range to choose from.

Brazil I join you with rudbeckia - tolerant of most soils and a magnet for bees and flutter bys.

[​IMG]

To that add hardy fushsia magellanic gracillis, used in Ireland for hedges, and dripping with flowers - tough as old boots except for very wet ground.

[​IMG]

and there's the aster - again a huge range of flowers and heights, though some varieties are prone to mildew. Very tolerant of most contitions except the very dry.

[​IMG]

and as a quirky flower, the chocolate cosmos, and yes it smell of chocalate, and although not always hardy, this one has grown unsheltered for the last 4 years in my clay soil.

[​IMG]

5. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I've some dwarf Rudbeckia that I grew from seed this year but I need to move them, when's the best time?

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    When its finished flowering would be best, its fairly easy to lift, split and move I've found - additionally winter is soon enough here without losing late flowers.

7. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
  8. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Still so much to choose from

As promised, this Nerine just made it into September
    [​IMG]

And a mystery, anyone know what it is?

[​IMG]

Finally, a late Sunflower with a Red Admiral feeding on its nectar while sheltering from the wind. How glorious for the children who planted these giants that are easily over 10ft. high now?

[​IMG]

9. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have grown a 'free with gardening mag' packet of sunflower seeds

These were suposed to be dwarf, but looking at them through the window now and they have reached 6 or 7 foot high

they do look good though, they branch off and flower at various heights up and down the stems and the flowers have vaying degrees of red rings around the yellow flowers

10. Heather

Heather Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Frogesque, Your mystery flower is a Kaffir Lily, and I only know that because I asked the same question and found the answer here on gardeners corner, mine are red in colour.

[​IMG]

It's a great feeling when you have actually learned something and can answer somebody else's question
    Heather

:D :D

[ 05. October 2005, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

11. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
  12. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    but i don't know what it is [should have been above another c***k up.]

13. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your help Heather, def. a Kaffir Lilly ( schizostylis coccinea - could be 'Mrs Heggarty' or 'Vicountess Byng')

14. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I saved the seeds from my kaffir lily and some grew with flowers the same colour as the parent, but others were a pale pink which I preferred.

I imagine they were reverting to type, but it was nice to get two varieties for the price of one.

[​IMG]