Dismiss Notice
MONTHLY PHOTO COMPS ARE BACK!

Get your camera out, take the best shots of your life and submit them to the photo competition!

Please Click Here!

Serious reviews of Lawn Tractor.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by JerryFn, Sep 24, 2017.

1. JerryFn

JerryFn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 13 year old Hayter RS17/102. This is, in fact, a rebadged Al-Ko 16/ 102
    It has NOT been wonderful, mainly due to some silly design defects. You really have to check out the grass box mechanism, its removal and replacement (terrible) to clear the constant congestion when it's wet. In the end that is the bit that has killed the machine. A truely Basil Faulty moment! The box won't stay down. Engineering is good, apart from the brake pedal, clunky and the body and design. After 13 years I have replaced the deck bearings, the rear grass box catch. One tyre, two hydraulic lifts. The plastic casing is destroyed (crashes) and now the battery is not holding its charge.
    Oh, also the frame on the grass box rusted through too.
    So not impressed.

Yes, please recommendations, with a strong and well thought out design.
    Looking at Stiga but I can't afford a STIGA MPV520W. I have seen one in action (a Park), incredible. I do need to pick up a lot of leaves, soon.

2. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,403
    :sign0016: @JerryFn I wouldn`t be without my countax tractor with a mulching deck. At this time of year it simply chops up all the leaves as I cut the grass and feeds them all back in. Nice wide tyres that don`t sink in when it`s wet, and spare parts easy to get hold of.
    How much grass do you have to cut?

3. JerryFn

JerryFn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    About an acre. Yes mulch, sometimes but it does not receive approval as we tread in the mulch!
    Certainly, Countax looks like a strong contender. Build quality?
    After a serious meltdown yesterday in true Basil Faulty style I resolved to mow without the grass box. Then buy a new one!
    But then I found my wife, sweeping the lawn!

4. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,403
    I mow 4 acres with my countax. This is a camping site. I find it best to cut very regularly, and keep the blades up high enough so that the mulched grass (and leaves) simply disappear.....most of the time. The alternative is to use the machine without the mulching function - no problem, except that I don`t want the collector on the back - it takes up too much storage space :huh:
    Mine is a strongly built machine - I bought a new deck for it this year - after about 15 years.
    Your wife would probably fight you to cut the grass herself if you buy her one of these :yes: