1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Seville Orange Season: Marmalade time!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by "M", Jan 17, 2015.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    ~They only have a short season (Dec-Feb) so, anyone making marmalade?

Care you share your favourite recipe?

2. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    Or just send me a pot.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      Never had much luck with making the stuff. I was using normal oranges though....

• Like Like x 1
      • rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +434
        Just made pounds of the best ever, Decided to include half dozen lemons (on Offer)
        Kilo don't do Kilos but the green grocer had them bagged up(Seville Oranges),decided the lazy way this year was the way to go sooo. Chopped them up along with half dozen fed up ones outa the fruit bowl, Put in the lemons pips and all, factorys don't take the pips out do they? threw them into food processor chopped up smallish. added some water to cover, not to much, boil up till rind is soft, low heat watch it doesn't catch this is important the cooking process stops as soon as you add sugar,Learned this by trial and error, Then when cool measure out a pound of preserving sugar to a pint of the cooked orange mixture, I cook it slowly for half hour lot of people reckon fast but in my experience it either boils over or catches (burns) you don't want burnt taste and it happens fast. I didn't intend to make 16 lbs but putting in the old fruit dish oranges plus the lemons that is what I have.
        Wash out the jars you are going to use then put them in the oven for a bit to sterilize Do not jar up jam in cold pots this is important. When I have the pots all full I leave them over night in a cool place ,before putting the lids on tight.
        Every body has their own way of making jam I do what has been right for me Oh Yes I have had disasters...But you learn by experence....:snork: Good Luck

• Like Like x 4
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • hans

hans Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +745
          Envious here. I had a old friend who made a batch each year. I made sure to pop in around this time. You can't beat home made.

• Like Like x 1