Shaded area. New boarder.

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Green Gremlin, May 4, 2021.

1. Green Gremlin

Green Gremlin Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    This is my little shaded boarder area. It has sun first thing for a couple of hours then in July onwards later about 1530 onward. So far I have a twisted willow in place already.
    Then I have blue hosta, yellow and green hosta x2, Hypericum calycinum (Rose of Sharon) I also have a californian Ceanothus which I beleive likes full sun? Plus I have some lime rickey hydrangea and hydrangea annabelle? Do you guys think that would be OK. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,966
    Hello Green Gremlin, welcome to GC! That sounds like an attractive border. If the Ceanothus hasn't been in the ground very long, have you got a sunnier spot that you could transfer it to?

3. Green Gremlin

Ratings:
    +9
    The ceanothus is in a pot, as don't think it would work there. Thanks I'm hopeful it will work

4. Green Gremlin

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the welcome and reply

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Macraignil

Macraignil Super Gardener

Avoiding getting fired.
      Ratings:
      +755
      I have a few Californian lilac shrubs in shade and they seem to be doing fine for the last few years. The growth pattern depends on the variety but the two in the most shaded area at the back of the house against a north facing fence are stretching fairly wide and this may be to get further out from the fence to get a bit more light. They still flower well and have got much bigger than I would have expected but I have read they don't like pruning so have not trimmed them back much and just expanded the flower bed to accommodate them. You can see one just before 5minutes into this video clip. Also have a hypericum in a fairly shady spot that is doing well and hostas are supposed to be suited to shade.

Happy gardening!

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    • Green Gremlin

Ratings:
      +9
      Thank you Marc. I shall try and see what happens,
      I've now grown the border to near 6ft wide. So hopefully accommodate the plans better IMG_20210509_182424.jpg

• Green Gremlin

Ratings:
      +9
      It's a long process my garden lol.
      I've dug it over, removed a lot of the old roots and rubble. Next I was thinking a few bags of old horse manure mixed in With horticultural sharp sand as it's like clay, mixing in sulphate of potash