1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shady and Sunny decking spots

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by AndyW72, Apr 20, 2016.

1. AndyW72

AndyW72 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

I am after some advice on plants to grow in large pots on our decking.

One end get sun about half the day and the other end gets no sun all day.

I would like a large planter for both ends. The shady end preferably something tall and the sunny end something not more than 4 to 5ft

Oh and nothing poisonous or with berries etc as our autistic son might decide to munch them!!

Thanks

Andy

2. Gwen austin

Gwen austin Gardener

Tea technician
    Ratings:
    +238
    Couple of thoughts. What direction is your decking facing? What spread are you working with, how wide is the pot? Are you wanting annuals, perennial? Are you looking for flower? What grows nearby?

3. AndyW72

AndyW72 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Its kinda north facing (ish).

I want something that grows tall for the shady spot that doesn't bush out too much.

I haven't got the pots yet but was thinking quite large ones to make them a feature as well as the plants...

Prefer something that i can just keep tidy year to year rather than have to replant etc

We have a Camelia growing a short distance away