1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shady Climbers: Specific location

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Matt Stone, May 6, 2015.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Folks, hoping you can help out.

I'm new to gardening, but know enough to be dangerous with CAD design!
    I've started where I know, and created a model of what I'd like to achieve in the garden.

In a particularly overlooked spot in the garden i'd like to grow a climber on a 2.0m trellis, with the (perhaps misplaced) hope that ultimate foliage growth should provide a ~2.5m privacy screen.

Challenge is that this is on the North fence, and our three-storey townhouses reduce evening sunlight.

I had hoped to grow Clematis Armandii (Apple Blossom) in this spot. I've modelled sun positioning to get a rough idea of how much light the area gets over the day - see the photos.

Two questions - first, do you think Armandii would struggle in these conditions?
    Secondly, can you think of a more suitable "fast growing evergreen climber" (preferably with flowers)?

10am - Morning
    10.00 - morning.jpg
    1pm - Midday
    13.00 - midday.jpg
    4pm - Late Afternoon
    16.00 - late afternoon.jpg
    7pm - Evening
    19.00 - evening.jpg
    9pm - Late Evening
    21.00 - late evening.jpg

Google has pulled up a few promising results but I'm really concerned about light availability. I think the plants will see great growth on the neighbours side but be fairly lacklustre on the side we can see!!

Thanks for your help, Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Matt

How important is it that they're evergreen ?

These are all good for flowering well on a north wall........

Roses ( such as Zepherine Droughan)

Any Clematis ( the paler ones such as Nelly Moser keep their colour better in the shade)

Any Honeysuckle ( these are naturally woodland plants)

Hydrangea Petiolaris

For winter/early spring interest you can use

Winter Jasmine

Chanemolese (sorry if the spellings wrong) (flowering quince) (although not strictly a climber is often trained against a wall)

And, what about fruit trees, spring blossom and summer fruit.....

Plum ( Czar )

Morello Cherry

These last two thrive on a north wall

• Like Like x 3
      • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
        Ratings:
        +7,491
        I've got a north facing garden and it's quite shady. I've got a Clematis montana "Elizabeth" growing on the north fence and it's absolutely bursting with buds at the moment. It's vigorous and deciduous but here it keeps most of it's leaves all year round. I don't know where you are in the world but maybe it would be the same for you and keep it's leaves.

• Like Like x 1
        • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,631
          On my shed on the side that is north facing and in constant shade i have a lonicera sempervirens the coral trumpet honeysuckle

Its evergreen ish but produces lovely flowers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Matt Stone

Ratings:
            +8
            Awesome, thank you for the tips. I think the consensus so far is that my planned armandii should survive, which is great news. I'll look into the other plants mentioned here as I would like some variety, particularly around the pergola in the photos.

It's important that it creates a year round screen as its a really badly overlooked area of the garden - garden is on an incline so the neighbours are at near shoulder height even with a 6ft fence! I've measured and I know I need a ~2.5m screen to provide a head-height level of privacy (hence going to the full 2.0m planning limit and hoping an aggressive climber will "waterfall" off at the top).

Thanks again for your help

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I think for a vigorous screening plant the clematis would be best especially a Montana type.

• Matt Stone

Ratings:
              +8
              Anthony - do you think Armandii won't cut it? I did look at Montana but Google told me it wasn't evergreen - has the internet been lying to me again??

Fern I'm in SW England so hoping for vigorous, year round growth!

Dips that honeysuckle looks great, how fast growing has it been in that area?

• Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,631
              Its quite fast growing just i keep it trimmed and tidy it up a lot

It almost died last year for some reason but has bounced back well

Here is the RHS page on it

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=3414

Heads up it has no scent (even thi the rhs says its fragrant) though because it relies on hummingbirds to pollinate it so doesnt need scent altho mine was pollinated this year so im thinking that was a hummingbird moth

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I've never grown an Armandii, so have no personal experience of it but I have grown a Montana and eventually had to chop it right back as it was almost 40 ft. I think that being in the west country it should keep it's leaves all year round I"m in Worcestershire and mine did.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,594
              I've been watching this thread, perhaps @ARMANDII's opinion on this would be a good idea, he is 'the man' to talk Clematis with Matt. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                +100,836
                Hi Matt, I must admit I've been growing Clematis for some time and have a collection approaching around 128 of different varieties at the moment including several Armandii including Apple Blossom and Snowdrift. I have Armandii growing through my Acer Brilliantissimum, a Jasmine Hedge and some shrubs along with other varieties.
                Firstly, the CAD images are great but I'm not sure where exactly you're thinking of planting the Armandii.........is it on/by the Pergola?? An Armandii is, as you know, an evergreen and Spring flowering Clematis so there's usually not a lot of other shrubs or trees in leaf at that time and so they can get a fair amount of light. They're not too happy in lots of sunshine,or cold winds, as they can suffer from scorch, but they're hardy enough to get through most Winters except the hardest. Also while the Armandii is a vigorous Clematis the clusters of leaves can be fairly apart so if you want:
                you might not get your wish with just the one plant.
                To be honest a single Armandii will not supply enough "ultimate foliage growth" to provide a privacy screen.............you will need several Clematis for that. You could mix it with some evergreen Honeysuckles such as Lonicera henryi, L.Fragrantissima, L.japonica Hall's, L.henryii Copper.
                I've also said in quite a few threads on Clematis that I tend to ignore/break the rules on planting Clematis by planting them quite closely together. I have a Trellis Entrance to the garden and there are now about 21-25 deciduous Clematis along one side and around the same number on the other side so they are very densely planted. That means I have no chance of being able to identify which is which class......so I prune them all in the late Winter or very early Spring I plant Clematis Armandii singly to get the effect of Spring colour in the different areas of the garden rather than clumping them, that gives a dormant Shrub or tree "life" when no other colour is around.
                One thing I have learnt over the years, after some casualties, that all Clematis seem to like being planted deeply. Doing so protects the roots from frost and also enables a Wilt affected Clematis to have a chance of recovering by growing new shoots from below.

• Like Like x 1
                  Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
                • Matt Stone

Ratings:
                  +8
                  Armandii - huge thanks, lots of great information in your post... it's a real help.

Sorry I realise now I wasn't very clear on the plan - the green rectangle along the length of the fence, leading up to the pergola is where I'm looking to create a 2.5m privacy screen. The length here is about 24ft:
                  sideview.jpg
                  I did consider Leylandii or another drastic measure, but I was keen not to lose too much garden in creating the screen, hence looking at strong climbers on a trellis.

If I:
                  • Deeply Plant 6-8 Clematis Armandii (one every 3-4 ft)
                  • Intersperse another 6-8 Evergreen "Halls prolific" Honeysuckles (one every 3-4ft)
                  • Ending up with a plant every 1.5-2ft
                  ...Do you think I'd get the desired result?

I should also mention the soil around here is loose, being a new housing estate, but it contains a fair amount of clay & i've known water to sit on the surface without draining too readily. I am planning on turning over the whole length under the fence with sand and compost before planting, and then putting a layer of shingle over that once the plants are established.

Cheers,
                  Matt

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +16,246
                  Hi Matt
                  I wouldn't plant just one species of clematis . What if they don't really work out correctly in your location ? If you do want a variety of clematis - there is a bewildering choice ! This Polish clematis site has an encyclopqedia ( top right menu ) . Where you can select the aspect N S E W , colour , evergreen , etc etc . It may give you a few ideas :thumbsup:

http://www.clematis.com.pl/en/

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,631
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Hi Matt,
                      Not one of my favourite plants:dunno::heehee: Conifers tend to suck nutrients out of the soil for up to 4-6 feet around, their falling dying foliage eventually turns soil acid and it can become a struggle to grow plants near them due to the lack of nutrients and shade.l

Eventually Yes, Matt, but it will take time and a little bit of training, even though they are fast growers, of both the Honeysuckle and Armandii as plants never go in the direction you want or envisage.:lolpt::gaah: Because of that I wouldn't prune the Armandii or Honeysuckle at all, apart from tidying up, but just tie them and train them into the direction you need. I know general rules of gardening say "don't plant too close" but Clematis don't seem to mind being closely planted. I say that because you might/will be tempted, by impatience, over a couple of seasons to fill a gap in the screen here and there with a extra plant or two [or three or four:heehee:]. If you do then you might consider planting in a Deciduous Clematis here and there to give you that continuing splash of colour here and there although I realise that your main objective is a Privacy Screen. At the the Trellis entrance to my garden that I mentioned I probably have double rows of different varieties deciduous Clematis on either side of the entrance, tightly planted alongside each other, with around 12 or 14 in each row.
                      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have C.Armandii in them though as I tend to use it to ramble through trees and shrubs. Evergreen Clematis can drop the odd leaf or two during the season so don't worry about that, it's normal behaviour. Do worry though if they start dropping leaves en masse:hate-shocked:. Clematis Armandii are not cheap to buy, Matt, unless you find a bargain, and can cost up to 3 or 4 times more than an "ordinary" Clematis. They're not any fussier than other Clematis but all Clematis like moist, damp soil and, if possible, their roots in the shade and/or covered by a flat stone or two to keep the soil cool. While Clematis like moist soil [underneath] they don't like standing with their feet in constant wet. I garden on around a depth of 350' to 400' of pure sand and have had to improve the soil over the years with compost both commercial and home made to slow down the drainage.

Good luck with that!!:heehee: But you're absolutely right about doing that as the plants will need a fairly good soil in which to establish themselves. Just keep adding compost over time and as more worms turn up over the years they will do a good job of improving your soil. I started with a new build house many years ago when it was common to be left with a Builders Yard of discarded bricks, pipes, plastic sheeting, timber, and compacted lifeless soil. I ended up having two loads of 90 tons each of top soil being delivered which just about covered the area with about two inches of soil.
                      But there's no such thing as a "instant garden" despite the TV programs of "Ground Force" etc as they spend thousands on paving, decking, mature plants which look very nice for a season and then the poor owner finds that a new season has brought change and problems that they've probably haven't got the gardening experience or capability to maintain. I wish you luck with your new garden and we're always ready to offer advice and help to any member of the Gang [which you are:snork:] so stay with us and join the fun.

• Like Like x 1
                        Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015