1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shady corner ideas?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by WolfieKate, May 14, 2011.

1. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Marketing, then Mum, then tbc!
    Ratings:
    +150
    Well just been out to trim lawn, pop some sunflowers in. I gave my ill rhodedendron a gentle tug and it came out with no roots at all so it's gone leaving me a shady corner which is not really damp nor that dry. The ground is fairly rough though I've been putting down manure over the years and it's quite stony. Just gave it a dig over and quite a few worms which is good.

I want a nice feature plant that will thrive in shade but doesn't need damp conditions. Before the failed rhodey I had a californian lilac but it grew tall and unstable in search of the sun.

All ideas welcome :sunny:

The foxgloves love it in this particular bed. :)

2. WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
    +150
    OK OK. shady corners are a bit boring right!:loll:

I think I am going to go for an Acer.... And try and get foxgloves and hellebore to spread underneath. And a few paving slabs for my nosey kids. In the meantime my cat is loving the dug over soil....:heehee:

3. Beagle

Beagle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Here're some plants we've got in our shady areas:

Acer, Laurel, Soloman's Seal, Asiatic Lilly, Navelwort, ferns (I've got a Male fern and a Soft-Shield fern), Pieris (would make a nice 'feature plant'), Hostas, Periwinkle, Monkshood (although one of them seems to be dying...), Lungwort and a Hydrangea.

All seem to be doing well! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Lad

Lad Gardener

Senior Consultant
      Ratings:
      +46
      Compost Bin :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
      • WolfieKate

WolfieKate Gardener

Ratings:
        +150
        Thanks everyone!! Lovely ideas.

I have a few Acers and they do quite well as we live in the balmy South West! :sunny: Though we do get a lot of soft scale on them which is a pain..... Hmm not so balmy today as it's cold and wet. But I may drag my preschooler over to our favourite city garden centre to have a wee look. Not sure the bank balance can take a big plant foray though! :WINK1:

• Beagle

Ratings:
        +3
        MY Acer has been in a north-facing border with no direct sun for a year now and seems to be thriving.

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        I'm curious as to which variety you have

• Beagle

Ratings:
        +3
        Hi Jane, it's an Acer palmatum dissectum 'Garnet'.

Although it gets no direct sun, it is in 'bright shade' if you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 1
        • babafang

babafang Apprentice Gardener

Graphic Designer
          Ratings:
          +5
          do some anenomies grow in shady areas? we planted a 'windflower', a cowslip, helebore and something else I can't remember the name of. These get no sun whatsoever. I have a Sedum that is growing happily in shade too - though it does get a little bit of sun at the end of the day. A violas seem to grow anywhere too!