Shady vegetable plot?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by wilroda, Mar 24, 2011.

1. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of putting in some raised beds for vegetables in my garden. The problem is that the only available place is in a spot where there is only about 3-4 hours sun a day. The rest being in varying degrees of shade.
    I am wondering if it is worth the effort of doing this with the amount of shade. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

PS this has been posted by myself recently but is not appearing on the new site. Apologies to all if you can see the old post but I cant!

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,171
    Yep, the post is down the page a tad but still no replies anyway (if mods might want to delete?)...

Most veg will cope although they won't give stellar results if they require full on belting sunshine. Your harvesting may also be a bit later than in a sunny spot but nothing too out of kilter. I have a similar arrangement and have done exceptionally well with beetroot, parsnips, carrots, sweetcorn, courgettes, beans, leeks, radishes... There are more but you get the gist. Make sure the soil is double dug (only need to do once at set up) with big stones removed and soil improver (manure in my case) added.

3. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks loofah!

You have given me the confidence to maybe give it a go.