Shall I ditch the garlic and grow something else instead?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by MrJ, Apr 17, 2012.

1. MrJ

MrJ Gardener

Web / Graphic Designer
    Ratings:
    +25
    Guilty as charged.... winter lurker, summer poster, begging for advice as usual! :snork: But I will try to be less of a fairweather gardener this year and join in more, maybe one day I will know enough to help someone else!

Anyways, I didn't get round to planting garlic sets as early as planned. But in a local garden centre I found a variety that said they could be planted through until late spring. I planted the sets in early to mid-feb and there is little to show for them so far. Is this to be expected, or shall I bail out and utilise the space for something else while I still can?

Being in a South East town centre (Kent) and based on previous years I doubt there is likely now to be a really significant frost (fingers crossed!) and there hasn't really been since I planted the garlic. Is this likely to stop the bulbs sprouting?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd be hesitant to plant Garlic in the spring as it needs the cold of winter to get going. You'll get something, but not as big as you would from an autumn planting.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,603
    You just need a bit of patience MrJ, also maybe a bit of rain too. Is the garlic bed very dry? If so give it a watering :blue thumb:

4. MrJ

MrJ Gardener

Web / Graphic Designer
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the reassurance guys. I'll hang on in there then. I've kept the soil moist and they're in a sunny spot so hopefully they'll catch up once they appear.