1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shallots and garlic

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by JimmyB, Nov 27, 2021.

1. JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Bit of ducking and diving
    Ratings:
    +602
    I want to plant some shallots and garlic but need help. If I understand right these are usually grown from sets - the bulbs which we usually eat.

In the case of garlic I can see how that works: plants one clove - get a whole bulb with lots of cloves. Good so far.

1) is that how shallots work too? Plant 1 - get a load?
    2) can I use supermarket garlic?
    3 can this be done from seed? Shallots we’re something like £5 for 10 bulbs today in the GC which seems pretty painful in the wallet.

Thanks in advance

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,289
    Hi JimmyB, I think that the bulbs you buy in the supermarket are treated with an inhibitor to stop them sprouting on the shelves, so they're not ideal. I do stand to be corrected, though, if anyone else has succeeded with doing it that way :)
    Yes, shallots are expensive to buy as sets, but they do split to give between 4 and 6 bulbs per set. Probably more in ideal growing conditions, which mine aren't!
    The good news is that once you've bought the certified sets the first year, you can use your own produce to plant in following years, assuming you've got enough and they're healthy.
    There are two sorts of garlic, one of which is a far better keeper than the other. If you Google 'softneck' and 'hardneck' you'll get a far more coherent explanation than I can give :biggrin:

3. JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
    +602
    OK! Thank you. I'll have a google. The shallot thing is really expensive! I have to wonder why they aren't grown from seed? I searched the shelves and found none...but effectively these are onions so I wonder why not?

4. Tomcat

Tomcat Gardener

Cultivating a sense of humus
    Ratings:
    +502
    You can get shallot seeds , a variety called Ambition from D T Browns and Marshall’s seeds.
    You will get one shallot from each seed , if you buy a bag of shallots you get , as Noisette 47 says , several shallots from each one planted.
    If you save your seed raised shallot and plant next season it will multiply. ( hope this makes sense ! ).
    For garlic , organic garlic from the shops will not have been treated , but try and get a variety that has been grown in the UK so that it suits our growing conditions.
    £5 for 10 shallots is quite steep !.:)

5. JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
    +602
    OK! So to save a few quid I wait a year...hmmm. Doesn't sound ideal. Maybe I'll try to find some cheaper sets. And yes - getting some organic garlic should be possible... actually - I thin all the supermarkets sell it these days. Great advice - and thank you!

6. Tomcat

Tomcat Gardener

Ratings:
    +502
  7. gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    Shallot sets are indeed more expensive than onion sets. Like onion sets, size of the bulb will depend on what you pay. The larger the bulb, the more expensive they are. We sell them by weight, 500g is the norm to the general public but bulk of my sales are 20kilo bags to the trade.

Also, bulk of my sales of onion sets and shallots will be from mid to late Jan to mid Feb, which is when they are ready for spring planting. I do sell some autumn planting onion and shallot sets, not many though as there is not the market for them, which is probably what you have seen in the GC.

8. Tomcat

Tomcat Gardener

Ratings:
    +502
    @gks do you have Elephant garlic available ?

9. gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
    Ratings:
    +4,539
    They will not be available until January. I service allotment societies and GC with seed potatoes, onion & shallot sets garlic etc etc. They already have been placing orders with me ready for delivery from mid/late Jan. As with the sets, I only tend to sell garlic in bulk, which come in 5kg bags.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
      I usually grow onions from seed and have grown those long shallots from seed, forget the varieties now, but as I usually grow them in cell trays with 4 or 5 seeds per cell then plant out, without breaking them up, you get growth very similar to planting a shallot set.

This is the types I mean.Echalion (Shallot) 'Elista' - Seeds
      Shallot Seeds - Zebrune

• Like Like x 1
      • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
        Ratings:
        +2,381
        Shallots were £2 for a bag of 30 in Wilco's recently but it's getting late for planting now so you might not find any.
        As mentioned, once you grow them successfully it's economic thereafter because you can save your own for the next season.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
          Ratings:
          +1,136
          Garlic is a no brainer....
          We planted some in autumn 2020 and harvested about 5 times of what we put into the ground this year.
          So I ate a lot of it and planted the rest in October this year. Also I seem to have missed some during the harvest. They started sprouting and are now fully green.

Just find a type of garlic that tolerates frost. something not every supermarket variant grown in Spain is suited for.

• Like Like x 1
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,046
            I grow shallot Zebrune (same as pete above) - a packet of seed is a couple of quid which last me 2 or 3 years - growing around 50 plants/year. Sow in Jan/Feb in seed trays and aim to be hardening off and planting outside in March / April depending on weather conditions. Harvested in Sept and dried they will last me throughout the winter stored in a dry shed (doesn't have to be frost free).

I grow garlic from last years bulbs - split up into individual cloves - each one then produces a big bulb with several cloves as you described. We don't eat that many so I only grow a dozen or so.

• Like Like x 2