1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shallow rooted plants/shrubs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by simon1967, Apr 7, 2013.

1. simon1967

simon1967 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi folks,

I'm after some ideas for shallow rooted plants/shrubs. I've got about 6-8 inches soil depth and then its concrete. I can't change this so i need some help please.
    I have got a border around the outside of my decking and am looking for something to climb up the handrail that flowers and preferably evergreen and also some fast growing colourful evergreen shrubs for the front of the border.

Hope someone can help me

:SUNsmile:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
    That's a tough one, simon! Most permanent planting is going to need very generous watering and feeding in order to survive with so little soil, once they're established! Then there's the practicality of actually planting a 10" deep rootball in a 6" deep hole! The only evergreen flowering climber that springs to mind is Trachelospermum (or is it Rhyncospermum now:scratch: ) jasminoides or asiaticum (1st has white flowers, 2nd cream). Depending on your local climate, Jasmine officianale or Lonicera (honeysuckle) halliana keep some leaves through winter and have mat-forming roots. I'd seriously think about growing a climber, either annual or perennial, from seed in situ, so the roots can spread and find the room they need. As for the shrubs, is there any way you could construct a slightly deeper raised border? Hebes, Cistus, Sage, Rosemary, Lavender, Broom, Heather...they might do the trick....

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,608
    Is there room around the decking to put pots or deep troughs Simon. I can't see many plants being happy in the small amount of soil available.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      Can you maybe pop a photo on of the space?how wide is the border and where does the concrete end? is the front border you mention somewhere else?
      Questions sorry :)

• Agree Agree x 2