1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shasta

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by DebraB, May 20, 2020.

1. DebraB

DebraB Apprentice Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have what looks like a Shasta Daisy (it was bought at a church plant sale and only labelled "daisy") which fills a corner of the garden nicely until it gets huge! I've read they should be 2 to 3 feet high but this one towers over my mother and must be 6 feet high and seems to be getting bigger each year (and inevitably flops as the summer goes on).

I've given it sturdy supports to grow through this year but wondered if giving it a "chelsea chop" while it is about half its final height mum and daisy.jpg IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1175.JPG IMG_1178.JPG might encourage it to stick to the normal 3 foot high (which would be more attractive as you can't see the flowers when they are up so high) or whether we would just be left with leaves and no flowers.

What does anyone think?

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    The older varieties of Shasta dasiy, like Wirral Supreme and Wirral something else were tall plants, especially in decent soil. It is the newer ones which are shorter in stature. Never bother with the Chelsea chop on anything so cannot help there.

3. DebraB

DebraB Apprentice Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you Palustris, for confirming it is a Shasta Daisy - and it is comforting to know it may be an old variety rather than a monster! I’ll see if it behaves itself with better support this year.