1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shirley tomatoes growth habit

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spruce, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,322
    Hi

I am growing two plants of the variety Shirley tomatoes in the greenhouse ,,, I also have Alicante, Sungold and two Manx Marvel ...

My question is Shirley a spindly growth normal compared to other varieties ...

but saying that its been the first one to flower and set fruit so should be the first to be picked ...

Spruce

2. john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8,311
    I always grow Shirley, it does grow tall and always a good crop..... Well fingers crossed this season:old:

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Sheps

Sheps Keen Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,215
      These were Shirley grown outside a few years ago.

I wouldn't say spindly, but might be different in the greenhouse.

IMG_2393.jpg
      IMG_2397.jpg IMG_2395.jpg

• Like Like x 5
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,204
        Also growing Shirley and SunGold in the greenhouse which were a bit spindley to start with but both now set on the third truss.
        A regular is Gardeners Delight but they have been terrible and very badly drawn to 3ft and no flowers !
        Tried taking some sideshoots as cuttings but they also grew very weak, just saved one to see if it will recover, dumped the rest they were so bad ?!

So odd as nothing really changed in the greenhouse, even the compost is the same Jacks Magic but as we all know , composts can change year to year ...

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1