1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Should be growing under glass!!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Diziblonde, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been on holiday in Devon this week and went to a tea garden in Dunster, there they have this tree which flowers and fruits even though a chap from the tree register has told them it is the only one in the country doing so out in the open, it should really be under glass....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Feijoa sellowiana,(salad bush) it is quite hardy Diz and evergreen, low temperatures in winter can kill the flower buds that are forming so it doesn't fruit every year,has been grown in sw scotland.

3. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't have a clue, all I know is it is in a garden planted up by the owners of the castle a long time ago and the name is given as Psidium Guajava and the information given about it is as above.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Dizi, as Walnut says, it`s Feijoa sellowiana. the Pineapple Guava. I`ve had one in my front bed for about 10 years. It flowers but hasn`t fruited. You can eat the leaves, flowers and fruit. It has a very unusual flower, but is beautiful. Would reccomend it to anyone.:thumb:

5. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is lovely, perhaps someone should tell the tearooms it's not what they think! The label in the picture is on the bit of wood holding the trunk up and they have a whole write up about how the chap from the tree register said it was rare to be growing outside!!!

Having done a quick google, the tree they state it is is very similar but the flowers are all white and yes it would be unusual to be growing out of glass, I can see that the flowers match the name you have given.

Does anyone live near there? Would you care to let them know????

David, perhaps you could swim over:D

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Next time I`m in Dunster, Dizi, I`ll put them straight.:thumb: Did you go in the animal park just up the road from there?

7. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No I didn't. We were only there for a few days, we went on the steam railway and visited the watermill as we have visited the castle on a previous occasion but never made it to the watermill before.

Is the animal park good? I might keep it in mind for a future visit.

8. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    It`s only small, and family run. But the animals are healthy and well looked after. I think it`s in an old BBC centre.

9. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds lovely, we'll have to try that next time. Shame we were only there for a few days this time, there are so many lovely places around there

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Just to add my bit Dizi, it fruits in my part of the world.

[​IMG]

11. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh what does it taste like?