1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Should I install galvanised steel mesh against field mice and mole

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by baris, Aug 20, 2018.

1. baris

baris Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I am just about to put the cover on. I made a trench that is about 30-40 cm deep so that I can bury the plastic.
    Since my trench is already done, should I put something there to protect against field mice and mole. The price is very reasonable for this welded mesh (13mm mesh size) from screwfix.
    apollo-13mm-galvanised-welded-mesh-0-9-x-30m/48490

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,995
    I did this on my first, small tunnel on a plot full of voles and moles and nothing got through the skirt, but voles got through the door opening.

I didn't bother on subsequent tunnels (where voles still got through the front door!), and when replacing covers I've never found holes through the skirt.

What I've found the most effective way of keeping voles out (plus rats rabbits, birds, muntjacs, etc.) Is mesh covered timber framed doors with a timber (could be brick or concrete) threshold they close tightly against. I use this stuff from Wilkos Wilko Cage Mesh 1.5m | Wilko N.B. Discontinued in that link at this time of year probably means it's been reduced to half price in store.

I still keep pots/trays with seeds in above mouse/vole level on demountable staging, and have an extensive collection of traps ready. Besides seeds, they are also rather partial to onion sets, garlic cloves, daffodils, especially tulips!, seed potatoes, marigold seed heads (for nesting material), kneeling pads and probably lots of other stuff I've fogotten about.

P.S. I have however found a vertical mesh barrier effective in preventing burying voles from getting at recently planted out out runner bean plants where they eat the seed cotyledons and kill the plant by severing the roots, so mesh barriers do work.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018