1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I lift my Parsnips?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by silu, Mar 8, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I grew 2 batches of Parsnips last season. The early sown lot were dreadful:mute: Woody as hell, loads of leaves and only fit for the compost heap...well most of them anyway. Luckily I did a 2nd sowing much later and they were really not bad. OK not exhibition standard but good sized not woody and after having been frosted, very tasty. I have some still in the ground and I noticed the other day that they are starting to put on new top growth. I lifted 1 and it looks as tho it's putting on new side roots?
    Should I lift the remaining crop and freeze them of leave in situ and lift as required? Thanks.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,161
    It's difficult once they start to regrow, they go soft as they start to use their stored sugar reserves for new leafs and roots. Mine are doing the same so we are busy making them into soup and freezing before they become unusable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Sometimes when they re-sprout, sending out masses of fine hair roots, they'll be OK for just a very short time, so I'd suggest you get them out ASAP, check whether they have woody cores yet and discard if that's the case.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks JWK and Scrungee, I thought this might be the case. Looks like a LONG day making Parsnip soup then...will need to make a trip to the supermarket as don't have any curry powder which to me is a must when making Snip soup

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,332
        If soup palls or the freezer overflows you could give parsnip wine a go. I made some a few years ago it is lovely clear slightly yellow wine not too parsnippy. I will probably make some more this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Thanks @NigelJ, I've never heard of Parsnip wine to be honest but it has been known for me to imbibe in the old vino collapso. I'll Google it and see what's involved. Certainly my freezer is bulging and my family might rebel if Parsnip soup is on the menu continually until June!

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          I've made Parsnip Wine a few times, but never with beyond it, old, woody parsnips. Always assumed the roots need to be soft and tender prior to boiling/gentle straining, to maximise release of juices/flavour and avoid release of anything that might inhibit clearing.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
        • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
          Ratings:
          +21,332
          I made it at this time of year when I made it last time and it cleared with no problems. You do need to clean and peel thoroughly and remove any discoloured areas. I would avoid any that were starting to sprout strongly.

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
          +21,793
          Parsnip wine is great, tastes a bit like sherry:)

• Like Like x 1