1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Shrub and tree identifcation and care help please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Lone Northern Lass, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Lone Northern Lass

Lone Northern Lass Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

I'm wondering if folks can help me to identify some shrubs and trees in my garden and advise on best care (although, once I know what the plants are, I could just look up guidance on care ...). All these plants are in a garden inland in North East England with acid soil (I think) and east-facing.

Here goes:

Plant 1 = prickly shrub with small burgundy leaves

IMG_0273[1].JPG

2. Lone Northern Lass

Ratings:
    +6
    Plant 2 = Tall, thin trees - the twisty stem in front of the shrub shown appears to be the same type of plant as the three very straight trees in the centre-left of the picture, because they all have branches ending in two- or three-parted dark-brown buds. I'm not sure these trees are the best things to be in this spot aesthetically or in terms of what their roots might be doing ...

IMG_0268[1].JPG IMG_0269[1].JPG

IMG_0271[1].JPG IMG_0272[1].JPG

3. Lone Northern Lass

Ratings:
    +6
    Plant 3 = shrub with small dark green leaves and lovely bright yellow flowers (my inclination is to nurture and encourage this and plant 1, whereas plant 2 I might consider getting rid of ...)

IMG_0276[1].JPG

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Berberis I expect

Ash (self sown probably ...)

Berberis - B. darwinii perhaps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Lone Northern Lass

Ratings:
      +6
      Plant 4 = struggling, straggling thing which I have no idea about. It seems to have lots of woody, straggly branches and not much foliage. To its left (so the right of the picture) is a buddleia which I've pruned heavily. Looking at the stems of this plant, I had assumed they might be dead buddleia stems, but following some of them along to their tips I discovered they have some small, light-green (with unhealthy brown blotches) leaves on the ends ...

IMG_0278[1].JPG IMG_0279[1].JPG IMG_0280[1].JPG IMG_0281[1].JPG IMG_0282[1].JPG IMG_0283[1].JPG

• Lone Northern Lass

Ratings:
      +6
      Thanks very much Kristen. I shall now go and read up :smile:

I'm thinking "self-sown" for the ash possibly supports my initial thought that those trees might not be the best thing to have there?

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I doubt you want a full sized Ask tree there!, and I can't see it being any use to you as "a small bush". I'd have it out and plant something else.

not sure about #4, can't see enough of the leaf ... looks like there is a Bramble in there as well ...

Escallonia maybe?Would have expected a lot more leaf on one of those though ...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
        Ratings:
        +3,254
        Agree on 1 and 3 Berberis.
        2 and 4 cannot see sufficient detail to positive.