1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shrub ID and taming advice

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by 2lap, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 2lap

2lap Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I've got this shrub in a shrubbery outside my house. Can anyone provide an ID for the plant and then provide me with pruning advice. The plant covers a foot print of about 8 square meters and is about 1.8m high.

Here are the pics... all taken today... (Sorry I couldn't embed pics).

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IkuAhyCvN3AEDvy10ALgGw?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/UF9IFf-NRJ0GpTCK9LEdZw?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G4Uxi6elN983S01dYrf79g?feat=directlink

Thanks in advance

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,740
    Hello 2lap

My first thought was White Escallonia and second thought Spirea thunbergii ... and it would depend which it is as to when it should be pruned.

Obviously someone more knowledge than I on shrubs will come along shortly.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi 2lap, it looks like an Escallonia to me too in fact I think it is Escallonia iveyi..
    [FONT=ARIAL,HELVETICA]They are a group of about 60 different types. They are all shrubs & nearly all evergreen or semi evergreen.. They are mainly grown for their colourful flowers, but their foliage is also attractive, making them good all-year-round shrubs. The flowers are mainly bell-shaped, although there are some with flatter forms. The colours vary from white through pink to bright red. They flower from late spring into summer and often intermittently beyond into autumn and so are worthy of a relatively prominent position.

The leaves are a glossy green and usually quite small. Most of the common varieties are hardy but some are a little tender & will need protection in winter, but yours isn't one of those you have a hardy one... Escallonias will grow in any fertile, well-drained soil. Remove up to a third of the old wood every year to promote young vigorous growth.
    [/FONT]..
    :thumb: With yours wait until it has finished flowering then reduce by 1.3 all ocer & give it a nice shape... Stand back every few snips to make sure you are keeping your shape, but they are very tough once established.. :thumb:

4. Lovage

Lovage Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hard to tell without a close up but from the growth habit I would say a cotoneaster, probably C. horizontalis.
    Does it have small berries after the flowers?
    If it is a cotoneaster you can be as ruthless as you like with the pruning, you won't kill it but it will grow back rapidly. Also to maintain some shape it's better to remove complete branches rather than leaving cut stub ends

5. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,740
    Lovage, I would not have said that ... as I did not ... but I had an ancient one (said to be 80 years old or more) in Bucks ... and I think you are right ... it is a Cotoneaster horizontalis ....

[​IMG]

I knew I knew the flower with those little spots and the leaves ... goodness, I even had a 13 year old Bonsai of it here which only died a couple of years ago ... :dh:

6. 2lap

2lap Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like Cotoneaster horizontalis flowers found on google, but not the growth habit as it is a big bush. Also, I've not noticed berries. I'll have a closer look tomorrow.... thanks for the help. :-)