1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Shrub suggestions for a shady spot

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pistolpete, Dec 22, 2011.

1. pistolpete

pistolpete Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

I recently removed a large stump from the corner (between wooden fence and stone wall) I am looking for a shrub to fill the space.

As you can see even when there are no leaves on the tree it is still very shady, I took these photos this morning around 10.00am the photo is pointing directly to the south.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ideally i would like a shrub which either has plenty of colour, (flowering or with coloured leaves) or alternatively can be pruned into a formal shape.

Would like it to be quite low level and not to protrude above the wall

I have an english yew in another shaded area and that appears to be doing well however if possible I would like to try something different to give a bit of variety.

Pete

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Whatever you plant, once it pokes it head up over the wall, it will get all the sun it needs.

But in an attempt to answer the original question, bearing in mind I'm no expert:

* Box
    * Spotted Laurel
    * Most rhododendrons
    * Holly
    * Hazel

There will be hundreds more. Those are just the few that I know of that should be ok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,548
      I have Choisya Sundance in shade and is doing very well. The paler foliage lightens up the corner too. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        • Like Like x 1
        • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,087
          A rhododendron would fit there nicely. They come in different sizes and tons of different colours and are stunning when in bloom. Evergreen as well so you'll have year round foliage :)

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
        • barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +73
          Also like the Camelia suggestion from Dim - most of the others (rhododendron,etc) are potentially slow growing and difficult to shape whereas Camelias have good colour in leaf and flower although can suffer from frost damage.

• stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
          Ratings:
          +2,368
          Fatsia japonica?

if you're willing to spend a little more, Schefflera taiwaniana perhaps?

Virburnum tinus or Sarcococca confusa for winter interest both tolerate shade and flower pretty well.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,593
          I would also be inclined to plant a fatsia there, but the OP said it must not grow higher than the wall ...

other problem is that when it does grow taller than the wall, the top part will be in full sun, and leaves tend to yellow in direct sun

• stephenprudence

stephenprudence GC Weather Guru

General Asisstant (for now), and full time immatur
          Ratings:
          +2,368
          ah didn't see that bit, it's quite limited then, you could try something unusual like Euphorbia mellifera, it can tolerate shade, but wont flower as profusely. That said it can get quite big.

Only other thing is an Azalea of some kind, maybe Rhododendron simsii.

• pistolpete

pistolpete Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks for all the suggestions guys, didn't realise I would have so much choice :) Had a look in the local garden centre and they said there new stock will be arriving in Feb so i'll be back then to choose, thanks again

pete

• pistolpete

pistolpete Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Bit of an update, I went with a Mexican Orange Blossom,(can just see it to the right of the fence) planted it a month or so ago, seems to be doing well so far :)

I want to fill the borders a little more, like the original spot this border recieves little to no direct sunlight, the photograph is pointing approximately south west and i took the photo this evening at around 18.30

[​IMG]

Ideally i want one specimen between the tree and the spindly looking bush and another between my new orange blossom and the tree, pretty much directly behind the daffodil in the shot, (the laurel is placed there in the pot)

Was in B&Q earlier and i picked up the following, was a bit of an impulse purchase should have checked if they were suitable for the planned location first

Rhododendron Yakushimanum Pink

[​IMG]

Laurel

[​IMG]

There is a large tree out of shot which is just coming into leaf that stops a lot of direct light reaching the garden, the tree in shot is also about to open its leaves out and gives quite a dense cover

I will be removing a lot of the plants that are already in the borders currently (i think they may be blue bells)

I was planning to plant the Rhododendron on the right and the Laurel on the left, do you think they will tolerate the lack of direct sun? I'm worried of them being very leggy or even worse dying

Pete

• Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
          Ratings:
          +10,739
          They should be ok Pete. I've got two Rhododendrons and a Spotted Laurel (Aucuba) planted against a north facing fence, they've been there for years and are still doing fine. :blue thumb:

• pistolpete

pistolpete Gardener

Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks Trunky, planted them early last week, was home all day yesterday and it looks like like the borders do get a couple of hours of direct sun as it moves around late morning, the trees haven't opened their leaves fully yet so it might be less as the year goes on, I'll be keeping a close eye on them, thanks again

Pete

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Is your soil acid ?(as you are planning to plant Rhododendron) I don't think they will tolerate even neutral soil, and definitely not alkaline (although some alkaline-tolerant Rhododendrons now available, but I expect not as regular garden centre purchases). If there are Rhododendrons, Azaleas or Camellias in gardens nearby you are most probably on acid soil :blue thumb: