1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sick tree!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Stew, May 2, 2020.

1. Stew

Stew Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I'm new to gardening, so sorry if this is a basic question.
    I have a tree in my garden and it looks like all the leaves coming from one branch have died. Please see pictures attached.
    It seems like the tree has some healthy leaves which are green and shiny, some leaves which have lots of white matt spots on giving the leaf a rough texture, and some leaves are dead.
    Does anyone know what is wrong with the tree? Should I aggressively cut away the poorly branches?
    Any help appreciated.
    Many thanks!
    IMG-8325.jpg IMG-8326.jpg
    IMG-8327.jpg IMG-8328.jpg IMG-8324.jpg
    Thanks again.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,369
    Hello Stew, what you've got there is an Eleagnus. The new growth in spring is white/silvery...that's normal. Those dead branches aren't, though. Yes, cut them out, back to a healthy branch...a clean cut flush with healthy wood. It might leave it looking a strange shape for a while, but with a bit of TLC...perhaps a weak liquid feed with a balanced NPK, it should put new growth on through the summer. Keep an eye open for pests...greenfly, caterpillars and snails!

3. Stew

Stew Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice and also identifying the plant. I've cut the unhealthy branch back so fingers crossed.
    Thanks again!