1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sickly magnolia grandiflora

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ClaraLou, May 15, 2010.

1. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    I have a Magnolia grandiflora growing against a wall in a west facing corner of my garden. It's a beautiful plant (well, tree, really) but is, to say the least, unsuitable for my small town garden. However, it was a present from my mum, so I couldn't be ungrateful, could I? Anyway, it has done quite well so far, despite having to be chopped about from time to time when it outgrows its allotted space. Over the last year or so, however, the leaves have become more and more yellow and sickly and it is now looking very sorry for itself.

Could my chalky soil be the cause? I know that some magnolias don't like it, but since there is a large specimen growing quite happily just down the road with no obvious mollycoddling it seems odd that mine should be affected. Would a good feed and compost mulch be likely to cure the problem, do you think?

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    It's more than likely your magnolia is suffering from chlorosis an iron deficiency that reduces the production of chlorophyll. We had one that suffered from the same problem. The solution is to treat with chelated iron or ferous sulphate.
    Your chalky soil won't be helping.

Here's a link which may help -
    http://www.mortonarb.org/tree-plant-advice/article/662/chlorosis.html

3. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729