1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sickly Whitebeam

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AnnaGram, Jul 11, 2011.

1. AnnaGram

AnnaGram Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    With very small, stunted leaf growth my lovely, 15 year old Whitebeam tree is a shadow of it's former self. The problem first started three years ago when it leafed normally but the leaves quickly turned dry, pale brown and fell very early in the season. The last two years, the leaves have been very small although still the lovely apple green colour and they stay on the tree until Autumn. IThe Whitebeam is sited in my back garden in a fairly sheltered spot which gets sun all day, assuming there is any! My garden has clay soil. I try to garden organically so no herbicies etc have been used near it. The crown of the tree is too high for me to get up to check for bugs. The last two Winters have been exceptionally cold with frost and snow lying for three months continually and it has also been very, very wet since then.
    Any help gratefully accepted!

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    • Like Like x 1
    • AnnaGram

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks, Matthew...your help is much appeciated.:)

I read your self-help guide and it's excellent. I don't know too much about trees and although I have a selection in my garden, until now I have had no problems at all with them...my luck must have run out. I'll try and take some photos (the easy part) and post them online (the hard part) :scratch:

Thanks again,
      Anne

• AnnaGram

Ratings:
      +0
      Matthew,
      Sorry for the delay...first ever posting of pictures online! Hope they might help ...
      Thanks again,
      Anna

Attached Files:

• TreeTreeTree

Ratings:
      +247
      Hi AnnaGram

I think your tree doesn't like the conditions that it's in. Traditionally Sorbus spp. are grown on well draining ground, such as the chalky soils associated with the South. Adding well rotted manure to the soil around the tree will not only help break up the clay particles and increase soil pore size, but will add vital and much needed nutrition. I suspect that there may be competition from the other trees and plants for water and nutrients.
      So:-

1. Break up the clay soil by using manure, straw, wood mulch, sand or gravel
      2. Feed the tree
      3. Water well, but do not let it get too waterlogged
      I hope this helps, and let us know how you get on.

• Like Like x 1
      • AnnaGram

Ratings:
        +0
        Thanks, Matthew.
        I'll try everything you suggest and I'll report back , hopefully with good news!:)

• AnnaGram

Ratings:
        +0
        Sorry, Matthew, should have asked if you have you any idea of the timescale when I might notice any results or is that asking the impossible?!

Thanks!
        Anna

• TreeTreeTree

Ratings:
        +247
        All depends on the tree, Anna. :)

• Like Like x 1
        • AnnaGram

Ratings:
          +0