1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple question hoping for a simple answer.

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by pete, Jul 22, 2020.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,967
    In short my small TV that I have in the kitchen won't work, I've got one exactly the same in the conservatory.
    So plan was to move that one into the kitchen and buy a new slightly bigger one for the conservatory.
    Now the question, if I bought a socalled smart TV would I be able to access the internet with it via my wi fi and what parts of the internet could I use.
    I don't intend paying any one any money I'm paying for the wifi so why would I want to pay twice.

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

No expert on the subject, but the first thing to do, if not already proven, is to use a laptop in your conservatory to ensure you have good wifi reception.
    There are several free Speed testers to check how good the wifi is eg - Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    The TV will probably have an Ethernet port for a cabled connection to your router if wifi is poor.

When you set up the new TV, when you leave the normal tv freeview channels etc, select the onscreen options and use a browser just like the laptop, its just the same, though depending on the set you buy, it may come with its own mouse /pointer or keypad, if not you may find getting a mini keypad very helpful, entering text to the tv via its onscreen keypad is a pain.

Like a laptop you will have access to all the paid for and free internet music, radio and TV and any extra services the TV has built into it,

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,967
    Okay thanks @ricky101 .
    Yes the laptop works in the conservatory, I had the hub moved so I didn't need a repeater which was a pain.
    I usually sit in the conservatory most evenings and sometimes find things on YouTube to watch, its a pain using an hdmi cable from the laptop to the TV.

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,967
  5. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    Well the second one is a compute monitor and TV combined, never knew they made them.
    I'd stick with the 24" LG smart TV, all TV's are "smart" these days. They are very easy to set up just keep pressing the buttons and put in your Wifi password when asked and off you go. Nothing to pay unless you want Netflix or Amazon prime or Apple or Disney or Britbox or............

• Funny Funny x 1
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,967
      Thanks @HarryS , I was under the impression that the cheaper one was just a tv and monitor, in that you needed the PC connection to get on the internet , which is basically what I have now.

I'm thinking the more expensive one allows internet connection without the use of a PC.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,967
      Anyway ordered the smart one last night from Currys ,what a palarvour that was.
      I can't just go to the store and buy it I have to click and collect.
      But they deliver to their stores in the afternoons and I can't collect it till after 5pm on Friday, the store closes at 6PM.
      But I can collect it on Saturday.
      Why don't they deliver to their stores over night ready for the next day.
      They are closed Sunday apparently.

Nice to see everything is getting back to normal Boris. :roflol: