Six Shrubs in an 18' Border

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Kevin Cowans, May 19, 2018.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello all

Could someone please advise me on a border with Shrubs?

I have a border in my garden which is 18' long by 3' wide, however there are six Shrubs occupying this space.

The Shrubs are:

1. Mock Orange
    2. Lilac
    3. Buddleia
    4. ?
    5. Wild Rose
    6. Mock Orange

Surely this is too many Shrubs in this space.

All of the Shrubs are currently overgrown, over 7' tall and each is growing into its adjacent Shrubs.

Should I thin out the Shrubs by removing a few of them, after the flowering season has finished to give those remaining more space?

If I remove a few of the Shrubs does anyone have any preference as to which I should remove?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Kevin, no evergreen shrubs?

Is it a sunny warm border? If so, I would plant a choisya....lovely evergreen with delightfully scented flowers.

I got tired of all shrub borders a few years ago preferring an inclusion of perennials to give a change of texture and form as well of colour.

I would remove one of the mock oranges, the buddleia, wild rose and lilac.

Consider some perennials to give you some colour there in summer kevin :)

3. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello

Thanks for the reply.

No, no evergreen Shrubs.

The border is against an East facing Fence and is Sunny until around 14:00.

I have been thinking about removing them and starting over but thought that would be too difficult to do since they have been there for more than 10 years.

My health is not great so it may be better if I see about getting someone in to remove them for me.

When would you say would be the best time to remove them, October or November?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Well, Kevin if you dont really enjoy them get rid asap. Life is too short. Good time to plant something now and give you something for the summer. Border sounds ideal for choisya. I would also plant a pittosporum......some lovely varieties like Garnettii with silver/ green leaves and Tom Thumb a rich purple black .

10 years? Most of those should be relatively easy to remove and throw away. Can you get someone to help you even for one or two? :)

An 18' border...3' deep is not a lot though....can give loads of interest all year round for minimal attention :)

5. Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
    +1,048
    Hello

Thanks for the reply.

I have other things that are taking my money at the moment but I am making a list of the things that need to be undertaken as and when I can afford to :)

Unfortunately I have no one that can help me which is why I am going to have to get someone in to do the work for me.

Also, there are birds currently nesting in the Shrubs which I do not wish to disturb so I will wait until after the nesting season.

And finally, thanks for the planting suggestions, I will certainly look them up.

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
      Last edited: May 20, 2018