1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sleepers for raised beds!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by johnbinkley, May 28, 2007.

1. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Comrades,
    I have raised beds and recently replaced some of the sides with railway sleepers. Unfortunately I think they were a bit heavily treated with bitumen. As a result some of my veg up to about 12" from the have started to distort and develop a crumpled brown mottled leaf. Hopefully I won't have to replace the sleepers but what about the soil? Can anyone suggest a solution?
    John

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    How about putting a polythene sheet liner behind the sleepers. To do this you will have to remove a bit of soil - perhaps a trowels width. As that soil has been in contact I would be inclined to get rid of it.

3. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes good point Peter. I would imagine it would still seap under though. Worth a try anyway. Thanks.

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    John, I would take the plastic as far down as you can. Seepage is through water/moisture and gravity pulls that downwards or horizontally. So you may find that it doesn't seep upwards.

5. Tortuosa

Tortuosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Used sleepers are great for retaining soil but not really suitable for food crops. Bitumen, creosote & other unpleasant stuff oozing out, especially in summer. If your veg is shriveling, what's it going to do to your meat? :(

6. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    meat? someone growing meat in their vegetable plot? hehehe
    I would seriously consider replacing the railway sleepers
    You can now buy new ones which haven't been treated at all

7. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Agree with Tortuosa and Whis4ey, but if you can't change the sleepers then I would use blue DPM polythene from a builders merchant and sandwich a layer of tough geotextile like Terram between the polythene and the sleeper. I would also take the polythene down to at least a foot below the lower ground level (assuming it's soil)to prevent capilliary action bringing the washed in pollutants back up again in dry weather.