1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

sloe gin question

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by lazy-gardener, Aug 16, 2006.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Someone has given me a recipie for sloe gin but sadly I dont know where any sloes grow! can the same recipe be used with damsons/plums do you think?

2. PJ

PJ Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there LG,
    Don't have a recipe as such, but regularly make damson gin- just as tasty if not tastier than sloe gin. Just quarter fill a wide mouthed bottle with damsons, add a couple of spoons of sugar and top up with gin. Leave for at least 3 months (but gets better the longer you keep it.) Shake it occasionally.
    Never tried it with plums.
    I know with sloes, you shouldn't leave them in for more than 3 months otherwise it imparts a bitter taste, but that doesn't happen with damsons- at least I am currently drinking a bottle of damson gin from Nov 2004 and it tastes grrrrrrreeeeaaaaat. When say 'currently', I don't mean at this moment. I try not to drink before 10am!!!!!
    ;)

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Sloes, damson & plums are all from the same family.....!! [​IMG]

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,740
    That's an easy recipe, PJ .. and, by the way, I don't think I've said welcome to GC, so ... Welcome to GC! You should put the recipe in the Recipe section as I'm sure there's a few folk out there who would like to have a go at it! :D

I didn't know sloes were the same family as damsons and plums, MF! Do you have a sloe tree or what kind of shrub / tree do they come from?

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :D Look in recipes... Have posted my sloe gin recipe....... ;) They come from the blackthorne bushes..... :D

6. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    do you ahve to prick the damsons like you do with sloes? or are their skins not so tough?

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    You don't have to prick the sloes' skins, you can put them ine freezer which will burst their skins, but for me part of the pleasure is sitting with someone, preferably in front of a log fire, stabbing the sloes and thinking of pleasures to come...

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :confused: Haven't done it with damsons, but yes, so as to get the colour & flavour... [​IMG] Just as you do with sloes...... ;) :D