1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Slugs & Spuds!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by polypody, Aug 19, 2014.

1. polypody

polypody Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I've been growing potatoes for 30+ years & can honestly say that this has been the worst year for slug damage. In previous years we've had some damage but were able to store at least 75% over winter but this year I reckon every spud has slug damage - no exaggeration! I realise it was an extremely wet & mild winter so that didn't help & because of this we soaked the area where the spuds were growing with nematodes - no effect!
    I realise that no potatoe is completely slug resistant but I'd appreciate any suggested varieties that other gardeners have found to be resistant' I've a list of resistant varieties & the variety & grew - Sante - was on it!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    It has been a bad year for slugs. My earlies were badly affected, I've got my fingers crossed the main crop are going to be OK, haven't dug any up yet as mine still have plenty of top growth and should still be bulking up.

Are these your main crop you are talking about polypody and which variety?

3. polypody

polypody Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Both earlies, Rocket, & maincrop, Sante, are affected.

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    I grew Rocket too, and lost a few to the slugs, really it was my mistake I used straw to mulch them and that provided a nice haven for the slug population. I won't do that again.

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Only grew Mayan Glod this year, very little damage on them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,694
      Am I right in thinking there are various types of slug and the ones that eat spuds underground are a certain type?
      Quite a lot of the really big ones you see around tend to just eat decaying matter.

I did hear you should add a few slug pellets when you earth up.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Arr, the black keeled slug will ave it away with your spuds in Davey Jones locker [​IMG]

Old Pirates tale says that only an application of nematodes will belay the little varmits.