1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Small green/yellow dot like fungi (maybe) in my new veggies pots

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Ana-S, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Ana-S

Ana-S Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi!

This is my first ever post in a forum and I’m also trying to grow some veggies in my garden for the first time in my life.
    I’ve planted the seeds a week ago and I felt like a new mum once I saw the plants coming out. It’s amazing how happy that made me feel.
    I am in the process of preparing the garden beds outside and I have a few questions. Hopefully you will help me out with my little exciting project.
    1. I’ve noticed in the little pots around the tomato and cucumber sprouts some green/yellow dots in different sizes and I don’t know what they are or whether they are going to damage the sprouts. Please see picture attached.
    2. I’m building the garden beds out of heat treated pallets with my fathers help but I am not sure if I should lay them on the turf directly or should I remove the turf.
    3. I’ve read as much as I could about the soil and about the compost, but I still have doubt on what to buy and how to mix. Could you let me know what’s the best mixture for my veggies to grow healthy?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,343
      @Ana-S Welcome! You will find this a very friendly and knowledgeable forum. But I'm afraid you have now caught the growing bug... Your seedlings look excellent. I suspect if the dots are actually little balls, they are slow release fertiliser that comes in the compost - normally a mix of colours for the different minerals I believe. Be warned though, if you see larger pearls that look a bit whitish and translucent, they are slug eggs and need removing!
      As for the beds, it depends how high you are making them and what the existing soil is like under the turf as to whether to bother removing it and digging underneath. I am getting lazy, and provided your garden is not waterlogged, I'd just fill the beds on top of the turf with a good mix. Purchased bagged compost would be fine but a bit expensive, and after about 6 weeks you have to start feeding the plants as the food in it runs out. Depends if you have a source of good topsoil to mix with it. I would also add something like grit or sharp sand to ensure the beds are well drained - purchased compost can sometimes be a bit 'claggy'.
      You will probably get plenty of other advice on the forum - have a read, and decide what YOU want to do bearing in mind effort, cost etc. And we all get failures in gardening so don't be disheartened if a few things don't work.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Ana-S

Ratings:
        +1
        Thank you so much ☺️! I’m definitely going to leave them on top of the turf.
        About the soil and the grit, should it go in layers or just mix them out?

• CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
        Ratings:
        +4,343
        Basically you create a mix of the stuff - so that the grit breaks up the compost a bit. I know we also put layers of gravel at the bottom of pots, but even with that, I tend to use a compost that has had extra grit mixed in (I am a bit heavy handed with watering, so need the soil to be capable of coping with me!)

• Like Like x 1
        • Ana-S

Ratings:
          +1
          Got it! Thank you very much