1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Small television or monitor? Which is best for CCTV?

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by CanadianLori, Jul 12, 2021.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    I've had CCTV for several years because I have lots of expensive fabrics delivered to my porch. I've been using small televisions for the display and I did mean plural. They keep pooping out and I'm wondering if a small monitor woud be a wiser choice?

Any thoughts on this? I'd appreciate advice.

Thank you!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,979
    What's the difference?
    Apart from a lack of a tuner in a monitor. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,156
      The CCTV I have is on wifi and sends the video to the cloud, so I can view on my phone or PC. I don't have a separate monitor. I never actually look at the video anyway it is more as insurance, I would review it if something happened, same as the dashcam in my car.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        Hi,

It will depend on the outputs of your CCTV box ?

As long as it has a HDMI or VGA socket it should connect to most pc type of screen, but if buying a new screen do check it has a VGA socket as some are now HDMI only.

Ours runs on the desktops PC monitor via a cheapo HDMI switch box so we use the pc as normal but just press the switch to view or review the 4 +1 cameras.
        We use the motion detect function so we can quickly review any movement over many hours of recording.

One like our simple recording box - you can display all 4 cameras at once or just 1 camera over the full screen by a simple click of the mouse.

000706.jpg

000707.jpg

• Informative Informative x 3
          Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,937
          I use TV's on our 2 CCTV's, as Ricky says make sure it has the right inputs & outputs, Both CCTV's i have you can use HDMI or VGA but the house CCTV also has a AV output so i have 2 TV's contected, one by the CCTV for watching(HDMI) then a mirror picture (AV) going to the louge TV where i can watch anyone coming going to the house (i'm noisey :biggrin:) if watching the box, we did have a old black and white cctv system (720) with a monitor (black & white) but that monitor would not show all the picture

• Informative Informative x 3
            Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,997
            CCTV connected to TV system. Dog watches TV in kitchen and barks like crazy if anything's happening in front garden, alerting us whilst we're out in back garden or upstairs.

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,616
              Thank you all. The last two tv's had both the vga and hdmi sockets. I do use the motion detection to lessen recording times. I guess I'm just getting a little frustrated because it is a long way to go to dispose of the old one and if that is the only thing I have to take to the recycle, it seems silly. They do not pick up any electronics at the kerb.

I used to use the multi screen display because I was worried that it would "burn" the screen seeing as how the picture only changes when there is actual activity. I use the one that rotates through the various cameras and pauses for 3 seconds at each. I didn't know if not having a tuner, somehow gave a monitor more longevity. (ever hopeful Lori...:redface:)

I guess I'll just resolve that buying new cheapie tv's will normal and accept the "price" one pays for vigilance.

Thanks again,
              Lori

• Like Like x 3
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,203
                Hi,

Well over here a 24" monitors are generally cheaper than the 24" tvs so would personally go for the monitor.

How many cameras do you have and how many tvs do they feed to, just one ?

Not sure why you are getting though lots of tvs, how often do they fail ?

Only had 2 monitors in the last 10+ years the original 4:3 led monitor is still working and the current 16:9 24" one, both which ran the pc and cameras, switched on for most of the day, just turn off the actual monitor and night or if out.

Get a decent image from 4 cameras on the screen and prefer that to a constant tour where you could easily miss something happening in the other areas.
                Not had any 'burning' on either monitor, think its really more of a hang over from the CRT screens that could suffer that problem, hence the screen savers, which you seldom hear about these days.

• Like Like x 1
                • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,616
                  @ricky101 you've just made a good point about turning the screen off at night. I'm certainly not even glancing at it in my sleep!

A tv might let me program "viewing" start/stop times. :ideaIPB: The first tv I used was small and new. It lasted quite some time. The others had been used in other rooms for regular television but were pressed into use when the one on the cctv died and then the replacement died. Could be just because they were older to start. I've got 6 cameras down the one side of the house (hillbilly side) and two on the front to watch over deliveries and vehicles.

I guess I shouldn't have been cheap and just replaced the first tv with a new one instead of cycling through the guest bedroom ones. Those also had dvd players built in :doh:

• Like Like x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,203
                    Hi,

6 cameras down one side !!! :yikes:

Are they this lot - :biggrin:

000715.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                      Ratings:
                      +30,616
                      Yes. Well, Jethro & Ellie Mae 40 years later, same IQ, and which was also passed on to their not so young-uns!

I took the old little television to the dump and was fortunate to have a used Gateway monitor given to me by a buddy who didn't need it anymore. And I had a timer already so it will only be running when I have at least one eye open!

Lucky me :)

• Like Like x 2