1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Smelly flowers & plants

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by FlymoDM, Sep 29, 2017.

1. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @alana , I find it funny that you lump Salvia together as one. There are many different scented leaf Salvias ranging from strong and pungent to the fruity. Surely there are one or two you like, or is it a case of I've tried one and don't like it.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Love choisya smell.
    Salvias vary enormously.......
    I guess scent is very subjective .......I like ribes in the spring but some describe it unflatteringly:noidea:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,988
      Yes I'm with you on that Verdon..many say both smell of cat P yet it brings back wonderful memories of primary school for me.:dbgrtmb:

• alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
      Ratings:
      +2,618
      Choisya is a lovely foliage plant and wouldn't be without it in the garden but the smell is not to my taste.
      Salvias do nothing for me and I know there are lots of members this site who will jump to their defence but I find the flowers are a peculiar shape and the smell too pungent. I have two salvias that I left to their own devices and I think they've come back to haunt me. No care or nurturing and they are thriving and smelly.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • RobB

RobB Gardener

Ratings:
        +231
        Blimey, what sort of school was that? :scratch: :biggrin:
        As a kid I really disliked the smell of hawthorn but now find it fresh and look forward to it in the forest. :SUNsmile:

• Funny Funny x 2
        • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
          Ratings:
          +2,618
          Another pungent smell is the privet flower and one pink hardy geranium I used to have had an unpleasant smell when touched. I've replaced that stinker with a lemon scented one.

• RobB

RobB Gardener

Ratings:
          +231
          I forgot about privet, we had one 10 feet tall and lots of flowers, another fresh smell to me.
          Honeysuckle is powerful after a sunny day and mixed with night scented stock goes well with a G&T. :ccheers:

• KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          For me, to go into the garden on an evening ( especially after rain ), the best scents are from my collection of Dianthus ( around 50 all different, Pinks, Carnations, Sweet Williams and original wild Species giving flowers for around 10 months of the year ) and Lilies ( around 100 different, giving flowers from May through to October ).

• Like Like x 2