Smelly white fungus killing perennials

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by htyas, Nov 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. htyas

htyas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Help!
    Since late spring we’ve had a white smelly fungus killing the perennials stem by stem. It smells like nothing else! It appears on the surface of the soil and is also in the wooden sleepers making up the raised beds. Just recently the fungus on the sleepers has started growing into plaque-like growths rather than mushrooms. It appears in a few places in the garden but has so far taken perennials in just one bed as victims. They were achillea and echinacea. It is in the bed where the acer sits too but the acer seems so far unaffected. I’m also worried it’s spreading in the air in that a few other plants have a white powdery residue on them.
    Any help appreciated. Really unsure what to do
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,306
    I'd be surprised if it was killing living plants, its living off the decaying wood.
    I think the white stuff is called mycelium, its how fungi grow and move, they mostly attack dead organic material, although there are a few that are a problem to living plants.
    Your compost probably has a high organic content and the fungus is living on that, and breaking it down.

Mushrooms/ toadstools are the fruiting bodies of fungi, and are usually only seen at certain times of the year.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +609
      I normally use a little bit of white or cider vinegar in spray bottle then fill it up with warer shake it and midly spray on my plants which get rid of insects etc i also saw o n thenet 2 other methods

Fill a spray bottle with 1 part skim milk to 9 parts water. Spray the milk solution on the plants, liberally, to kill fungus. Milk has a positive effect on the immune system of plants, giving them the ability to fight the growth of fungus.

Apply a baking soda solution to kill plant fungus. Pour 1 quart of water into a spray bottle with 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Add half a teaspoon of canola oil and a few drops of dish soap. Give the spray bottle a shake and spray the solution on the plants to rid them of fungus

What method you use try it on fungi in small area first andsee if it gets rid of it

• htyas

htyas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Okay, thanks very much for the suggestions. I’ll try the milk spray since that’s an easy one and may be look to adjust the soil composition before replanting