1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

SMOKE AND MIRRORS -ENERGY MARKET

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Sep 6, 2014.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I don't use a lot of Gas or Electricity over a year so my energy bills are quite manageable. My house is not a big house but it's double glazed, wall insulated, along with the loft and roof and even without the heating on is, to me, a warm house. I use [but don't like] low energy bulbs for lighting and nothing gets left on standby and all sockets with appliances plugged in them get switched off so no power is going to them.
    Like all of us I would rather keep my money in my pockets than give it the Energy Companies who have the same low standing as Politicians etc to the British Public. So when today my present Energy "Supplier" sent me a letter informing me my present contract for dual energy was ending next month and presented me with new tariffs [inevitably higher] I went looking for another "Supplier". I found that I could save £206 annually by switching to one of another company, [one of the smaller ones], so I have.....as I said "better in my pockets than theirs".
    My problem is that being Human [quiet in the back row please:nonofinger::heehee:] I don't understand how the supply of Gas and Electric has been so complicated, twisted, and mutated:scratch::doh:. I know why it has.......so that more profit can be made by confusing the customer by a supposedly greater choice of indecipherable tariffs, conditions, etc.:gaah:
    When the date comes to change over officially to the new Energy Supplier is their Van going to appear at my house and unplug my Gas and Electric from the old "Supplier's" connections and plug into theirs???.............No, of course not. So it's going to be the same Gas and Electric with me paying a differently named bill every month. Okay, if you listen to the Energy Companies they tell you about buying "futures", how they have to buy years ahead, the complicated Energy Market, the competition from Global pressures, maintenance and investment, etc, your eyes will start to glaze and you will feel a headache coming on and you will stop asking, which I guess is good for the layers of Energy Dealers and Speculators.
    Gas and Electricity is sold, resold and resold again so many times before it even reaches a pipeline.....all of that speculation, profit, and high price made in a world where they never even see the product and we end up paying the end price.
    The Electricity Producers in this country sell the electricity to another company which belongs to them, which sells it to other companies [some of which still belong to the Electricity Producer] who then sell it onto to other companies. So there's a lot of selling and reselling going on in order to increase the profit and price.
    My question is, and obviously a lot of others are asking the same question, why is this situation being allowed to continue to exist with such a vital resource and why it is not be simplified?...........Oh, yes, I know profit is more important.:wallbanging:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
      Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2014
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I have also just changed from Npower to the smaller supplier OVO , which did have very good reviews . I did this when I received my annual summary and bill , so I knew exactly what my annual gas and electricity usage was . The bill also said Npower had moved my plan to the cheapest one for my usage . But comparing this to OVO I could save about 10% to 15% ( I hope ! )
      As the supplier change was going through Npower called me to ask why I was leaving them . I replied , for a cheaper supplier . The cheeky devils immediately said they could offer me a lower rate to match OVO's ! But your bill said you are supplying me at your cheapest rate , I replied , and put the phone down............
      The more of us who change supplier may bring the big 5 suppliers monopoly / cartel to a fairer pricing policy.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,618
        Some things should never have been privatised - water, gas, electricity, transport infrastructure to name but a few.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +6,953
          :smile: Good thread.....
          I am changing at the end of the month probably to First Utility from those bandits British Gas.
          Has any one joined them?.......I am also considering OVO as well.
          We must try and break the big six cartel......It's scandellous.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Hi Roders, I was going to change to 1st Utility as the rates were good....BUT I checked on their customer reviews and couldn't find one good review. I have never seen such bad reviews for a company of any sort as those for 1st Utility so I've balked at going with them as they seem to be a nightmare for billing and getting even the name of the customer correct!!!!:hate-shocked::runforhills: The OVO Energy Company seems to have good reviews with only one or two complaints against a majority of praises.

I agree. We must also stop the practice of raising profits by selling on energy from a parent energy producer company to a company within it's group, who then resells to another company within the same Company group, etc.
          One of my clients was a global phone company who bought mobile phones and accesssories by the million from China literally for pennies. The phones had no software on them so the Parent company would sell them onto another company within the Parent Group, they would put some software in and then sell it onto another company within the Parent Group, that company would put some more software in and sell it on to another company within the Parent Group, then that company would do the same, put in some more software and sell it on to another Group company. That would happen 5 times until the final 6th company would sell the different major brand phones to Phone Dealers who would sell them onto retail outlets. All those companies within the same group were in fact in the same building so it was just a case of passing the phones onto onto the next floor or even next work desk. So in every case of reselling to another company the price of the phone went up 5 times from the original "for pennies" price to hundreds of pounds for an individual phone......all without the phone leaving the building.
          I won't go into the Tax dodges that they also used!!!

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I'll have a word with my electricity supplier...

.... Just spoke to myself, seems like i've only got one tariff and that's free :)

• Funny Funny x 4
            • Like Like x 2
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Just don't hold yourself to ransom and resell to yourself:nonofinger::heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                Ratings:
                +49,618
                Ah, but did you take into account productions costs that should be off-set against your tax bill?

Not least - raw materials (food, beer, alcohol [home made or otherwise]); administration charges (mobile broadband contract to allow you to keep abreast of the markets), and of course health and safety (requirements for shelter from the elements - a caravan should be enough) as you cannot have electricity being produced in an unsheltered environment.

And what about your carbon footprint - you have to take into account your emissions you know, especially as you are on a veggie and alcohol diet!
                fart.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  You really, really, don't want to know about Ziggy's "emissions", especially after a Vindaloo curry [which should be renamed Findaloo:lolpt::heehee:] or/and a session of his Home Brew.:hate-shocked::yikes::runforhills:

• Funny Funny x 4
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +86,033
                    What I would like to know is how exactly you know you will save a certain amount by changing suppliers????
                    I just aint got the brain power to work it out, or the inclination to spend the time doing it.

Its all wrapped up so we cant see what we are paying, and I wouldn't trust any of them that say they can save me money.
                    Saving me money is not their business.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      Well, to be honest, pete, nobody know "exactly" how much you will save by changing the name of the "Supplier" as some of it will depend on your usage during the following year of the contract. Some Suppliers lower the price of the units of energy but raise the other charges such as standing charges etc. So you have to check not only the price of the gas and/or electric units but the other "service" charges as well. There are companies that supply energy at lower rates and service charges and lets face it less money given them is more money for you.:yes:

The first I doubt greatly and the second is up to you......but saving money is a good motive!!:hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 1
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +86,033
                        Are there any comparison websites?
                        Just put in your usage and they tell you the best company?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Yep, I use uswitch.com and it's very quick and easy. All you have to do is put in your Post Code, the present Supplier, and your usage either in units or how much you pay a month. You then get given a comparison of about 20 cheaper Suppliers...........try it. If you just put in on the Net Search "Cheaper dual energy".....or just "cheaper energy" that will bring up different comparison sites for you to choose from.:coffee::snork:

• Like Like x 1
                        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +16,246
                          Roders , as Armandii said , I looked at the First Utility reviews as well . Amazingly they did not have one good review , not one ! May be worth looking at OVO or another one.

Pete , Uswitch , will give you a full comparison . You can enter your monthly / quartely payment or usage. If you have your annual review bill this will give you your gas and electricity totals .
                          http://www.uswitch.com/

• Useful Useful x 2
                          • Informative Informative x 1
                          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +46,169
                            I've used First Utility in the past, they were fine. The thing with online reviews is that only people who have a gripe go on and complain, you don't see the other 90 odd percent of people who are content. Same goes for a lot of consumer products, cars in particular, I don't think anyone would buy a single car if you googled <'ford/renault/etc' 'mondeo/clio/etc' problems>, it's scary.

Anyway I switch each year to the cheapest, using advice from Martin Lewis, all the lastes advice is discussed and condensed to a few single steps. I'm not saying I always end up with the best deal in the long run but at least going via a cashback site (like quidco) I feel as though I'm doing the best I can in a very confusing marketplace.

• Like Like x 3