1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

SNOW IN ARMANDII'S RETREAT

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by ARMANDII, Jan 18, 2013.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Most of the timber was already in my Garage as leftovers from other jobs and the Willow Trellis sides were meant for another job that I never seem to get around to.:snork:
    The main wooden pillars are 4" x 2" placed in quick setting concrete, while the back of the seat and roof are made from 2" x 2" timber, with the rear faces of the roof are made out of half inch marine plywood. The seat is also made of two pieces of 2" x 8" by about 43" in length placed side by side. I did have to buy a bit more 2" x 2" wood from the local Timber Yard as I ran out of it three quarters of the way when finishing the roof!!
    It's very solid and everything is screwed in placed rather than nailed just to make sure.
    To be honest it's very easy to make....it must be as I'm no wood worker or craftsman.:heehee: It is very satisfying to sit there in the Spring, Summer and Autumn [and even sometimes during the Winter:hate-shocked:] and watch the birds on the feeders and all the goings on in the Garden I must admit. I did post a thread on the building of the Arbour as an encouragement to any one else who might be thinking of building an Arbour just after building it. I had no real plans just an idea in my head which got changed time and again as I progressed with the building. The idea of the bird box in the roof came as I was already building some bird boxes so the two seemed to go together. The piece of tree trunk that originally sparked the idea of a natural seat ended up being placed by the side of the pond as a shelter and refuge for any wildlife....just shows how things start.....and finish:snork:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Grannie Annie

Grannie Annie Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,631
      As usual wonderful photos Armandii - especially the owl!

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Thanks, GA. The Owl seems to fit in quite nicely on the East side of the garden and the other birds take no notice of him. He was also a "return" as originally he was a present from me to my sister. She moved from her House to an Apartment with no garden last year so she gave the Owl back to me One of my neighbours has a fake Owl on a tree stump in the middle of his front garden and the birds use it as a place to perch:snork:

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Do you call him "Woo"?

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        No, I call the neighbour "Steve", Mum:dunno: :snork: ............Oh, I see what you mean:heehee: , actually I haven't really got a name for the Owl. I just think of him/her as "the Owl", but I might get around to christening him.:coffee:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Call Steve "Woo", it'll make him think ;)

• Like Like x 1