1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

So how do I get my morning glory to climb?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HBK, Jul 1, 2011.

1. HBK

HBK Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    This morning I was debating whether or not my morning glory plants had been hardened off enough in 12 days. While I was advised 10 days was sufficient ( http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/beginners-garden-development/34663-hardening-off.html ) I had skipped a couple of days due to bad weather.
    Anyway, when I lifted the pot I saw roots poking out of all 6 holes and decided to plant them anyway. Now they're sat in the soil quite happily but the vines are flat on the ground. Do I need to encourage them to ascend the fence nearby or will they eventually get there? And what if they start wandering in the wrong direction?

Thanks everybody.

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    They will not stick to the fence on their own :D You have to tie them in to the support ie; trellis, if your fence has spaces between the planks? ok :thumbsup: if not you will have to work something else out.

Encourage them to go in the direction of your support by pointing them toward it :) I assume they are not too far away from the fence :sunny:

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      hello HBK
      you will need to fit trellis to your fence for the Morning glory to climb up , or the cheapest option is buy some plastic pea bean netting and fasten this to your fence with metal staples or cable clips . The MG should grow to 2 - 3 metres.

• Like Like x 1
      • AngelicaWinters

AngelicaWinters Apprentice Gardener

Aldi store assistant
        Ratings:
        +1
        I've got five and they climb quite happily up some string my dad screwed to the fence and the big pot they're in so they don't need a trellis, in fact the two by my trellis aren't climbing as high or as wide, but that may be because of a lack of sun :o
        I also had problems with trailing vines with a couple of mine when I first started acclimatising them. If you've tried winding the vine around something it can climb and it simply falls off it may mean the vine is weak and useless. I cut them off but check along them for new vine growth first. They'll soon throw out a new one :WINK1:

• Like Like x 1
        • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          I think they are best on poles because they are twiners. Mine didn't twirl at first, planting out confuses them. I tied them in very gently as the stems are delicate, and checked them several times a day to make sure they were going where I want them. I retied if necessary and placed pebbles against the stem to make them lean the way I wanted. Sorted. They didn't dare resist.

Control freak, moi?

• Like Like x 1
          • daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,881
            Not only that, but they were only planted this morning for goodness sake.:cool: Give them something to scramble over and they`ll be fine.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,389
              If you stand in front of it for a few hours she will climb on you...seriously/no prob

• Like Like x 2
              • Henry Richardson

Henry Richardson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                +1
                Screw a cup hook into the top of the fence, tie some garden twine to it and extend to a cane in the ground behind the vine. It will happily grow up and reward you with new flowers every morning.

• Like Like x 1