So, Mint Can Be Killed

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by HsuH, May 25, 2015.

1. HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,257
    I bought 2 types of mint plant 3 years ago and planted them in a large container. The 1st year they went mad, the 2nd year they quietened down, this year there is hardly any sign of live. Well, I thought to myself, maybe their roots are too congested and the compost needs a bit of freshening up. So I tipped the planter over and took everything out, and was puzzled to see no root at all. Poking the soil about a bit I soon discovered the reason. I live to learn that even mint can be killed !!!

Painstakingly, I picked out these vine weevils at different development stages (the near adult ones were the most difficult to spot due to their colour merging with the compost) for there was no way I would let them walk away, before I threw the spent compost away.
    image.jpg

I am glad that our blackbirds have made a feast of them. i wonder whether they tasted of mint?

I've updated the list in my previous thread Vine weevil: Susceptible Plants...?
    Please add any known susceptible plants to the list, so we could all keep and eye out for them.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Quite a haul there HsuH ... bet your blackbirds were bloated after that lot!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,230
        Strange you should mention that, as I picked out vine weevil larvae around my peppermint in May, when I potted it up into s bigger container.

• Informative Informative x 1