1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

so much dead grass

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by tim091, May 3, 2020.

1. tim091

tim091 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    I had a good covering of green lawn last year despite most of the grass being a bit rubbish (white "flowers" on it, tall thick stems that don't cut, meadow grass...) and lots of moss.

I did some extensive power raking last autumn which took out a lot of surface thatch, and a lot of grass (both good and bad). I top-dressed the whole lot and over seeded. I then used an autumn fertiliser to get the roots going.

So far this spring I have a lot of dead grass and have raked by hand. This got a lot of dead stuff out but now, a few weeks later and after a few cuts, my lawn is showing so much dead grass - not dead mulch/thatch, the actual plants themselves are just straw coloured and unhealthy looking.

I am close to giving up on lawn care after the back-breaking (and expensive) work I put in last year. I despair!

IMG_20200503_134034980.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Tim once the lockdown is over and it’s safe to visit I’ll pop up and see what’s going on.
    Have you applied any treatment this year?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • tim091

tim091 Gardener

Ratings:
      +46
      Thanks mate. No treatments yet as I have seeded some large areas that overseeding wasn't totally successful on last autumn. Waiting for that to get established before applying a general summer fertiliser.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
        +1,259
        this old weather is not helping either, due to turn cold on Sunday. Would be nice for the weather to settle down.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        With the cold night temperatures over the next week is it best to delay lawn reseeding ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Hi Tim , I think the majority of us with lawns sometimes think the same! They seem to be afflicted with all sorts of patches at will. My front lawn is a disgrace after a heavy moss growth over winter. Removed moss now huge dead patches :gaah:

• Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          hi Harry, sorry missed your alert.

I tend to wait for a nice steady temp but temps don’t look too bad at the moment, just a bit chilly in the morning.