1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

So sad, we can no longer go...

Discussion in 'Hook, Line and Sinker' started by landimad, Dec 9, 2012.

1. landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    Years gone by when we lived down Plymouth, we enjoyed going fishing. Now we are in the middle of the country and find it hard to get to the coast. We used to love going sea fishing and eat the catch too. I am not a keen coarse fisherman and would like to have a go again at the best sport for which we as a couple had a great time at. Over the years we have pondered with the idea at moving back nearer the coast, but as always the family wants us to stay close due to them living near us.
    We take the rods with us to the East coast when we get to go, but again this is for a few days and not a lot of action for us due to there not being the places for us to fish off rocks and piers which is how we like to fish.
    With the restrictions around the Tamar estuary we have not thought about down that way due to Bass fishing not allowed at certain times of the year.
    We has done Cod, Codling, Whiting, and other types of fish, but to be truthful we like Bass and Mackerel best.

Is there any fishing around the North Norfolk coast which offers the same or similar fishing during the month of August/September, our time for getting away?

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    I live in Wiltshire and I normally go on a charter boat out of Weymouth with a bunch of like minded duffers, but with the Olympics and the weather we haven't been out for quite some while.

Cheers, Tony.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    If you mean Bass Nusery Areas, I thought those specific restrictions only applied to fishing from boats (although minimum sizes for taking fish apply to everbody).

I'm literally in the same boat as you, living in the middle of the country about as far from the sea as you can get, so I have to carefully plan any trips to get the most out of them, involving something like a B&B or campsite overnight stay to fish the maximum number of tides per tank of fuel used getting there.

Something else I do is use the bargain Sun Holiday Breaks for £39.50 (+ service charge, so about £60 total) to book a caravan (with fridge & freezer) for 4 nights Mon- Fri on dates when the tides are just right and aim to bring back enough fish to cover that accommodation cost.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, just says from a boat here.

http://www.athenaeumlodge.com/fishing.html

That is a shame Landi, like Tony says, been a pants year for getting out, couple of times we'd got down there, took a look and then put the rods back in the car & gone down the fish shop.

I've tried coarse fishing a few times, not the same as sea fishing if thats what you're used to.

5. landimad

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    Tried all types of fishing, but by far the best is sea fishing.
    Only trouble is that I get sea sick if out on the waves. :eeew:

Shore fishing was and still is my personnel favourite.:hapfeet:

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Been seasick once, that was enough, mind you the boat was rocking at 45 degrees.

I take a boots own brand motion sickness tablet if its looking a bit rough, not had it again.

7. landimad

Retired Rail worker
    Ratings:
    +915
    Yep, know what you mean there Zigs. I do not do sea sick and tablets do not help me:dunno: seems I am without a balance as the horizon is always on the move.
    I would get sea sick on a duck pond. :loll:

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Not been as far as Norfolk, but i've got a Bass fishing DVD somewhere that i'm pretty sure was shot there in part, a rock strewn beach where they collected bait at low tide & then fished the flood.

The mackerell will be on their way back down the channel from the north sea around september time. I'll pm you a forum where you can have a look at whats going on in the area:)

• Like Like x 1
    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      You changed your avatar Zig?
      Not that it's that different from the previous one...

• landimad

Retired Rail worker
      Ratings:
      +915
      :ThankYou:
      Hey big thank you for that Zigs, Mrs Landi will be pleased to go again. Not sure what time of year yet,but will be looking to go next summer sometime.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Just had a look on youtube for that program, but its not on there.
        It was the bass fishing episode from a series called predators.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Yep, Poppies turn to hold the Sunflower:biggrin: