1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

So you love Tulips ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Mar 3, 2019.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    This Youtube will bring tears to your eyes :biggrin:
    Process is necessary to develop the bulbs .

• Like Like x 2
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,731
      :love30:That was quite something! A few years ago I went on a holiday which took in the Dutch bulb fields - as it had been a late cold spring they were not as spectacular as the one in the video, but still pretty amazing. What was even more amazing was the display at Keukenhof, the gardens which are maintained as a showcase by the Dutch bulb growers: About Keukenhof | Keukenhof.nl

Again, the gardens were not yet at their peak but inside a pavilion there was a simply astounding display of (forced, I guess) tulips of every kind you can imagine, old and new. I don't mind telling you, that brought a tear to my eye too - they were so beautiful, and so diverse, and so much love and knowledge and history had gone into their creation. Hope that makes sense!:spinning:

I would really recommend a spring visit to both Keukenhof and the bulb fields. You can also go to Spalding in Lincolnshire for a smaller-scale spring bulb festival:Visit Spalding

• Like Like x 1
      • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,890
        Hi Harry, it's only what we do ( albeit on a larger scale ) in our own gardens.

You notice on the close ups that they're blown ( goneover or fully opened ) , so they're just deadheading to prevent seed pods forming. That then put's all the energy back into the bulb for next year.

• Informative Informative x 2
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Hi KFF , I do the same as my tulips are past their best . I deadhead them all (daffs as well).
          I wouldn't like to do that Dutch field by hand !

• Like Like x 1