Softened water, hard water, filtered water - what's best for houseplants?!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by waiting for the weather, Jan 4, 2018.

1. waiting for the weather

waiting for the weather Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hello and Happy New Year to everyone!

I recently had a water softener fitted. I was curious to learn whether this was suitable for my houseplants, but I've found conflicting information and am left non-the-wiser.

I have 4 viable options:
    -Softened tap water
    -Hard tap water (total hardness 313 mg/l if that helps?!)
    -Softened tap water that has been filtered by a fridge freezer filter (so I assume has less chlorine etc)
    -Hard tap water that's been left in an outdoor water butt for a few months

I've read that rain water is best, but I have such a volume of houseplants I don't think I could collect enough. The water butt doesn't collect much, hence it's filled by tap water.

If it makes a difference, I have lots of cacti and succulents, a variety of ficus and calathea, then a few of the usual houseplant suspects like peace lilies, two orchids I can barely keep alive, mother in law's tongue, mystery Ikea plants, and a few mystery ferns.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Best,
    Heather

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,707
      Rainwater user here, because I have a handy butt outside the back door. Mine are mostly succulents, plus an aspidistra and a big spider plant. The leaves get a quick spray with rainwater from a diffuser at the same time, too.

And then every so often if I think the leaves are looking dusty I put all the plants in the bath, put in the plug and use the shower head to give them a 'rainbath' of Thames Water. Then they sit and have a soak for twenty minutes before I pull the plug out to let them drain.

They seem happy with either/both but I will be interested to see what others say - thanks for starting the topic!

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,311
      I use warmed rain water also, that is room temperature.
      But I often use it straight from the tap, with a bit of hot water to just make it lukewarm.
      In the summer it comes straight from the water butt, which is mostly filled by hosepipe at that time of year.
      I'd only bother if I was growing something that particully need acid conditions as my water is fairly chalky.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      Tap water , with a touch of hot water in it to take the chill off. I live in a soft water area.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      My Yucca houseplant is treated to ... the remnants of the dogs water bowl. It isn't complaining, in fact, last year, it began growing a baby plant so I'm guessing doggy saliva isn't a Yucca killer :dunno:

• Like Like x 2