1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Soil in raised bed for veg.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by rustyroots, Oct 30, 2011.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    I have built a raised planter to grow some veg in. I have taken soil from the garden and put a green plastic composters worth of compost in. I still need about 6 inches to fill it and am nor sure wether to put bags of top soil or compost in as I cannot take anymore soil from the garden. I have about 75% soil and 25% compost. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi rustyroots.

Firstly, what are the dimensions of the raised bed? Did you turn the soil over before adding the soil/compost?

Cheers...Freddy.

3. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    fill the rest with well rotted organic farmyard manure ... some garden centres are selling 3 large bags for £10-£11

don't buy horse or cow manure from farms, rather buy from the garden centres, as you won't get weeds

4. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Hi *dim*.

That's all very well, but what if his raised bed is massive? The cost will be quite high. And, if he didn't turn over the soil first, then the soil underneath will probably be compacted. I was quite surprised when I built mine how much higher the base level was after I turned over the soil, maybe as much as 3-4". However, if he's dug it first, and if the bed isn't THAT big, and IF it were me, I would probably go for a mix of 75% Loam (sold by B&Q as topsoil) and 25% composted Farmyard Manure. But then again, it depends on whether or not he wants to grow 'roots'.

Cheers...Freddy.

• Like Like x 1
    • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      he has 6 inches to fill

a mixture of topsoil, compost and manure are always my choice of preference

even when I plant shrubs or trees, I always use a compost that is based on John Innes #3, mixed with topsoil from the ground dug for the hole , and always add manure

I would say the ratio that I use is 30% topsoil, 35% manure and 35% john innes #3

if I plant shrubs etc that need good drainage, I always include a good amount of perlite

and I always include either superphosphate or bonemeal in the mixture

lately I have also included rootgrow

but, I'm still learning ... and from what I have done .... so far, so good ... everything seems to be doing well

:cool:

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Hiya *dim*

Yes, he has 6" to fill, but he doesn't say how large the area is. Going by your second post, I would say that he wouldn't go far wrong. In your first post, you suggested using only manure, something personally I wouldn't go for. Ok for 'hungry' crops, like pumpkins, courgettes, that kinda thing, but not much else, imo.

I guess we'll just have to wait until he posts again :)

Cheers...Freddy.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      OOPs ... think you misread my 1st post .... I said he should fill the rest (the 6 inches) with manure

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      I didn't misread, something personally, I wouldn't do.

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,593
      oh well, then my error ... I don't 'think' in English, do 'Err' from time to time, but am well pleased that you now understand what I was trying to say, and hope the OP (original poster) is not confused

:cool:

• rustyroots

Ratings:
      +2,946
      Thanks for the replies.
      The area of the raised bed is 5 foot square. I did dig over the area before building the bed.

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Hi again rustyroots.

Ok, this it what I would do. Get hold of some Loam (sold by B&Q as topsoil, maybe 3 bags, or whatever it takes to get within a couple of inches from the top)and top up with Composted Farmyard Manure (again sold by B&Q), lightly forking it in. Bear in mind, this will suit most crops APART from 'roots'. This is what I did when I started up my raised beds, and I'm happy with my produce :WINK1: Hope this helps.

Cheers...Freddy.

• Like Like x 1
      • rustyroots

Ratings:
        +2,946
        Cheers Freddy. A trip to B & Q it is then.