1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Soil Prep for Rhododendrons . . . .

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by David E Peacock, Sep 25, 2016.

1. David E Peacock

David E Peacock Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +165
    I have done a soil check on an area where I am to plant several Rhododendron plants currently in pots, and the result was neutral (7.0ph). My initial feeling is that I would like to reduce the ph of the planting areas to say 6.0ph but am not clear on how to achieve this. Having 'googled' this I am told this may be achieved by adding sulphur or iron but without an idiot-guide, I am not sure what these additions are or how frequently applied!

One suggestion made to me by an 'old timer' is to add liberal quantities of leaf-mold in the planting holes and to mulch with same after planting. This appeals to me as I have several sacks of well rotted leaves at my disposal.

I would appreciate comments as to if the above solution is a viable one, or indeed to offer any advise please . .

David . .

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,519
    In the old days I'd say add loads of moss peat, leaf mould will help also.
    Sulphur is supposed to lower PH but it's a long process.

I often add sulphur chips in spring just to help out.

If the plants show a problem, yellow leaves, a watering with sequestered iron in spring often sorts it out for most of that season.

3. David E Peacock

David E Peacock Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +165
    Thanks for that Pete!

Are sulphur chips and sequestered iron items generally available from ones Garden Center or Nursery?