Soil question????

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by the garden gnome, Mar 20, 2015.

1. the garden gnome

the garden gnome Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have been slowly but surely developing my garden, i have a small query. The soil is basically like a peat loam, slightly acidic. I done the jar test and there waslittle esle apart from peat and a little silt. I was able to grow some potato's last year then added plenty of rotten manure, but i am wondering what would be best to improving it's structure and bring the Ph down a bit.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,310
    You have every gardeners desire! :) Most of us here have either clay or sandy soil. You should be able to grow most things in your soil but if you feel the need to improve it I would suggest either manure, which you have used already, or perhaps topsoil to help with the structure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • the garden gnome

the garden gnome Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      thanks, plenty of manure on it this year, so hopefully it will be ok, might try some topsoil as i am looking to improve the structure, many thanks

• Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Hi there.

You say your soil is slightly acidic, so I would assume it has a PH of around 6.5? And, when you say you want to bring the PH down, you mean you want it more acidic?